Raw Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Okay, I'm pretty new to all of this and I've been taking my time transitioning to the juicing part of the raw food lifestyle.  Not because I don't like it but because I'm a busy working mom/wife and I REALLy don't have time to juice every day AND keep the juicer clean.

So I had a great plan to make a nice, yummy juice with beets in it.  My friends always rave about beet juice, so I JUST juiced some beets, celery and an apple.  It was very yummy and I made about 2 cups.

Well I drank 1 cup and was liking the juice.  I started on my second cup and about halfway through I started feeling nauseous.  I thought I was imagining it, but it's been getting progressively worse.  I'm fighting the nausea as I type this!

The closest similar thing I've felt like this before is when I take my vitamins on an empty stomach.  About 15 minutes after doing that (which I don't do anymore) I would start to feel severly nauseous.  That would only happen in the morning, obviously after not having eaten for many hours.

So could the nutrients from the fresh juice be overwhelming me?  I'm typing as fast as I can so I can go lie down - I hate feeling nauseous!

does anyone have any idea what I did wrong or what could be happening?

Thanks!

Tags: beets, nausea

Views: 8552

Replies to This Discussion

It's the beets. They are very strong. You need to start with at least half a beet and than work your way up every week or so.

Hi Tiffany,                           

I agree with Jenine, it's the beets. Beets are  among the most powerful vegetables created, and they are very cleansing.

When you drink  beet juice, it goes straight to work cleansing and detoxing your kidney, liver, and blood. When you drink too much all at once, the rapid cleansing can cause some discomfort.

Your post said that you juiced "some" beets. That was too much to begin with.  Try juicing 1/4 beet, along with about four large carrots, celery, and apple.  It is really delicious, and you shouldn't feel any discomfort.

LOL - first time I tried juicing beets I did about 4 huge beets with apples and ginger - aside from being in the bathroom most of the day, I felt sick too!  Less is more when doing beets:)
Hope you are feeling better. I get that feeling when I drink my juice if I drink it to fast. If I habe beets or not! I LOOOOOOVE carrot, beet, orane, ginger and celery juice. Try taking real small sips. My juice is so good that I want to guzzle it down, but that always makes me feel less than perfect..
All my recipes have you start with a 1/4 beet and work up
Thanks for asking about this -- I have had the same experience-- the explanations given about both the beets and drinking too fast make a lot of sense to me. Pretty sure that's what happened to me. Good to know for the future.

I'm back!  I felt nauseous for the rest of the day and just lay down in bed the whole time.  And now the thought of drinking beet juice brings on a wave of nausea...

So, I didn't drink it too fast - that definitely wasn't the problem.  But I did juice 3 beets!  I NEVER would have thought that would have been an issue, but like I said, I'm new to this.  Also, I grew up on a farm and our beets would be large!  I got these from a farmer's market, 20 minutes before they closed, and they were tiny compared to what I'm used to.  So I thought 3 of these small beets (where in my opinion, 1 beet is about 1/2 the size of a regular sized beet) would be fine.  Lesson learned!

BTW, I also juiced the leaves.  I always see that being done on the videos I watched.  Is that okay?

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Support for Yourself & for Raw Food Rehab

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2014   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service