Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

When my Vitamix died, and they said it was "3 days past the 3 yr warranty", I was really disgusted, as I had understood at the time I bought it (on Ebay, but new) that it had an 11 yr warranty.  This made me not want to get another Vitamix, but try something else.

I tried a Ninja from Amazon and when it would not do kale in a smoothie sufficiently, I returned it for a full refund.

I considered a Blendtec which was on sale at Costco, but kept seeing reviews about the jar getting messed up looking easily and it was still a pretty hefty price.

I decided on the Oster Versa from Amazon for $199.00 (then saw it new on Ebay for even less!) and have been making smoothies in it for almost a week.  WOW!!!  It does a BETTER job on smoothness than the Vitamix (I had one with the 2 switches & a dial in the middle), the jar is more stable on the base, and it does not have as  high pitched a noise as the Vitamix.

I've used in the smoothies: kale, spinach, Brazil nuts, flax seeds, strawberries, and it's every bit as smooth as the Vitamix made things.  When I used a partially frozen Medjool Date, it did have more "texture" than I would have liked, but I may have just needed to blend it longer.

My Vitamix would "jump" when I started it at times, but this doesn't at all. 

They don't recommend sticking the jar in the dishwasher so I've been running water with a drop of dish liquid after each use and it looks great.  I would put my Vitamix jar in the dishwasher and it did not stay nice looking. 

The three programmed cycles are "smoothie", "soup" and "dips".  I've only used the smoothie cycle so far and it works fabulously.  Running it twice does get the mixture warmer than I'd like (so I add some ice & blend), but I've found that running the cycle only once gives very smooth results and is still cold enough to suit me.

I got the model with the tall jar and it seems it may be a half an inch taller than the Vitamix (which was plenty tall!) It does fit under my cabinets with the lid off - I put the lid in a basket that I keep slicer blades, etc. in.  If you have a shorter distance to your upper cabinets and you want to set it out, you'd have to put the whole jar next to the base rather than on it.

They do make a model with a smaller jar, but the trim is red on it and it wouldn't go in my kitchen.

They recommend filling it at least a quarter full, but I've made smaller amounts in it and the results are still great.

It has a tamper that is like the Vitamix one, but triangle/star shaped on the bottom, not round and solid like the Vitamix's.  I only tried it once and it seemed to work just as well as the Vitamix one.

In the reviews on Amazon for this (there are about 70), people say the Vitamix jars and tamper are interchangeable with this machine, but I still have my Vitamix tamper and the Oster's is shorter, so I'd be a little afraid to use the Vitamix one in this.

That's all I can think of to review on this.  I've very pleased with it as I truly like it better than my old Vitamix and it was only $199.00!!

If any of you purchase it, I hope you like it as well as I do, but read the reviews on Amazon before you decide.  Feel free to ask me any other questions about it.

there are about 70 reviews of it on Amazon.

Views: 1183

Replies to This Discussion

I love my Blendtec but if I had seen the Oster Versa  for $200 I would have gotten it. Thanks for the info

I'll add something I thought of: Someone in the Amazon reviews said they removed the gasket on the lid, an another said they raised it higher.  I found it very tight (the lid) to remove for my arthritic hands and removed the gasket.  I've had no problem with leaking/splashing out so far, but then I haven't had liquids close to the top.  I'll put the gasket back on if I need it.

Kay - I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful and thorough review. I know many people will find this information really helpful when making their decisions on what blender to buy!

And even though you don't have many comments yet, there have already been over 300 views on this page - way to go!

Kay Lucia said:

I'll add something I thought of: Someone in the Amazon reviews said they removed the gasket on the lid, an another said they raised it higher.  I found it very tight (the lid) to remove for my arthritic hands and removed the gasket.  I've had no problem with leaking/splashing out so far, but then I haven't had liquids close to the top.  I'll put the gasket back on if I need it.

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service