Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Hi all,

I'm a student and have been saving up for a juicer for a while...finally taking the plunge.

I was gonna go for a Hurom, but then found out that they have reduced the warranty to 1 year now. And since they are a Korean company with just one product in the America market, they might close down and go, who knows? My warranty will be void then.

Omega VERT330 and Hurom are essentially the same. I am now confused between Omega 8006 and the Omega VERT. Some points to consider:

1) VERT has a plastic juicing screen, people have reported they break a lot. I know Omega are going to replace it with stronger plastic, but it might still break often. 8006 has a chrome plated body, but people report that the auger chips and breaks when you make frozen sorbets/nut butters.

The auger in both juicers is made of the same material, and is supposedly very strong.

2) Cleanup is faster with 8006, but juicing is faster with VERT (bigger chute, vertical design). The motor RPM and horsepower are the same.

3) VERT is not supposed to be used for sorbets... but people use it anyway. It does not come with a blank plate, so cannot homogenize food. (no smoothies). 8006 is a grinder/mincer/homogenizer. However, I feel that using it for juicing is best because the auger chips...

VERT can make almond milk, and John from discountjuicers.com has videos showing how to make nut butters and frozen sorbets. (since the motor and the auger are same as 8006). Doing so however voids the warranty.

4) 8006 is 50$ cheaper, and has 5 years more warranty on it.

5) VERT is more efficient in juicing (more juice, faster), and has an auto cleaning feature which 8006 does not. You still need to clean the VERT manually after juicing. And, people report that dry pulp gets clogged in the pulp-chute.

While I will be using my juicer mainly for juicing, I do intend to make nut milks and banana icecream. My concern is regarding durability, and I have seen negative reviwes on both juicers regarding this (plastic screen and the auger)

I'd love to hear your opinions if you've been using the 8006/Hurom/VERT for some period of time. Do they break and leak, and what all have you used 'em for?

Please help me choose!

Tags: 8006, Omega, VERT330, juicer

Views: 1331

Replies to This Discussion

wow I am the perfect person for this post. Me and susan b ordered the vert from raw food world. I am soo dissapointed I wanted to love this juicer. Mostly I clogs so poorly the screen hole and the hole in the bowl. I tried every kind of vegge. It was a huge pain in the rear. They have a new model the 350 coming out now. Wish I had waited for that model.
It is a pain to clean as the pulp gets lodged in the holes.

I returned it even though I had to pay for the shipping. I want the 8006. I spoke to the omega rep and he prefers the 8006 even though it is cheaper than the vert.

I have been blogging about this juicer here on rfr as I went through the same process as you. Others have offered advise and helpful info. Others love it too.

Good luck and happy juicing.
I believe if you go to the Liquid Lounge there is more information there. I have a Hurom (and have had a Juiceman , and still have a Jack La Lane Stainless). I just called Hurom as to the Warrantee. Ten years on the unit/motor base, and 1 year on parts (baskets, etc. They will stand behind their warrantee when used according to the manual. )

About the "leaking" others have experienced. This is due to over feeding, or too fast feeding, of produce into the machine. Also, the food should be cut in smaller pieces, not whole (like carrots or kale leaves) - as with a centerfuge juicer. If you prepare the food into 1" peices, it won't leak. I've timed it against the certerfuge, and it took the same amount of time from prep of food to clean up. So time wasn't really an issue there.

The Omega 8006 is reliable, and clean up is about the same. It is more bulky and so you should consider your countertop space. ( a juicer in a cupboard is not used - leave it out) If it comes with a "blank plate" you can do banana ice cream. Frozen foods are not to be used in the Hurom according to the manufacturer. (I find using my VitaMix blender makes the best icecream and easier cleanup considering all in all...so check the kitchen for icecream and sorbet recipes)

Our Hurom is used nearly every day, and I love it for every thing juiceable. I also will throw in a few soaked almonds with water thus adding nut milk to the blended juices. At Hurom I asked about Pomegranite seeds, and he said yes they can be juiced, however, it is best to run a little other liquid with them (apple, citrus, or water). I also like the pulp in my grapefruit juice ( personal preference) and so I use the "orange" strainer basket for the grapefruit and the oranges

Best to you!
Thanks for all the replies, I checked out the Omega VERT350 from their website, I do not see any differences ,except maybe the plastic is stronger now. Am I missing something?
I'm leaning towards 8006 now after reading your experiences with it, or, I might wait until Omega comes up with a better VERTical model.
Suzee, I cannot find the reply by penni you are talking about, can you plz send me the link?
Ann, yes, the warranty on the motor is 10 years, but it's the parts that have been reported to break the most. Also, if they run out of business in the US, (unlikely, but Hurom juicer is their only product, who knows), their warranty goes void. So I think I'll go with Omega even though it's more expensive.
I vote for the Omega 8006. The blank is very useful. I think you limit your possibilities without the blank. I have an Omega 8003 which is similar in construction. The augur is very durable. I use the blank to grind flax seed, to grate frozen ginger and garlic, to homogenize ice creams, to grind dry grains into flours and seeds into ground spices. It comes with pieces for pasta making, if you were inclined in that direction. I also use it to juice and it does a great job at juicing.
Thanks for your input, when grinding grains etc, did you see any issues with the auger chipping? Maybe the person I heard this from got a defective auger...

Beth Lampron said:
I vote for the Omega 8006. The blank is very useful. I think you limit your possibilities without the blank. I have an Omega 8003 which is similar in construction. The augur is very durable. I use the blank to grind flax seed, to grate frozen ginger and garlic, to homogenize ice creams, to grind dry grains into flours and seeds into ground spices. It comes with pieces for pasta making, if you were inclined in that direction. I also use it to juice and it does a great job at juicing.
No problem Suzee. :)

Suezee said:
Hi, I am so sorry I was unable to locate Penni's post I thought it was in the liquid lounge.
I will continue to look and get back to you.
John Kohler just posted a comparison video of VERT350 and VERT330 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwtOikA6ieM. So the durability concern for the VERT330 has been addressed.
Hi Mgdha-

Tought I had replied already on this discussion but maybe not. I have the Hurom and it is a disappointment to say the least - a very expensive dissappointment.

Clogged the first time I used it - but the juice quality is pretty good - probably lasts as long as from any juicer on the market. Pulp is not very dry so you have to run it through a 2nd time. I am thinking of giving mine away I dislike it so much for the clogging.

Celery is impossible to run through this juicer without stopping to clean it out and them start again and so are greens. Both of which is why I got the juicer in the first place. To do more green foods.

There is no such thing as homogenizing or making nut butters with this design. You would be better off with a Champion juicer for that which I have and continually go back to. Now that Champion is a tank - have had this unit since 1997 and it's still going strong, just doesn't do the grasses/leafy greens very well.

Just purchased the heavy duty Breville on a 5-pay with QVC who will take the juicer back if I don't like it so it's budget friendly. My girlfriend has used this unit every day for a year and still loves it so I am going to try it and see.

Mel
Thanks for your input people, I have bought the 8006 for a very good deal and just got it yesterday. I juiced celery cucumber and romaine lettuce, and I loved it. :) Thanks for helping me choose.

RSS

Support for Yourself & for Raw Food Rehab

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2014   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service