Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

I have watched some health conscious people on youtube who recommended that you do massage to work out the tension that you have built up over time. They said that this would help with athletic performance, and that it might take progressive sessions to work.

I have gone for a massage on occasion with my mother previously, just for a treat, but today I had a massage therapist who explained that it is the case that it takes several sessions to work out the built up tension in the muscles.

I am so glad that I went and got that massage. I feel so much more relaxed, and I think I am going to go back.

At any rate, these are my suggestions:

1. Tell the massage therapist what areas you would like them to work on and what areas you wouldn't like worked on before they start.

2. Focus on yourself. You can bring a friend, but don't plan anything super stressful for right after your massage, and be selfish with your time because it's all about you, for real, really and you should respect yourself enough to do that for yourself.

3. Go for the earliest appointment for better service.

4. Look for coupons, especially right before Christmas if you go right before Christmas, and at health fairs.

5.  When looking for a place to get a massage, ask if they have organic massage lotions.

6. Look at the massage packages, and divide them to standardize for how much one hour costs, to see which massages are cheapest.

What are your suggestions?

Views: 66

Replies to This Discussion

This is a really interesting conversation, thanks for starting it!  I'm getting a massage soon, so this is helpful. And, Ruth Ann, thanks for all of those great suggestions.  I completely believe in massage as a healing modality -- if I could afford it, I'd go twice a week!   :)

Very interesting thread indeed... I am a Florida licensed, national certified LMT and clinic/spa owner.  I'm inclined to start with my recommendations, but first, I'd like to respectfully chime in on some comments already made, as I think it is very important not to confuse people who may be new to massage and bodywork. We all see things through different colored glasses. Forgive me for critiquing some of the recommendations, but please take it as a thumbs up to most of the rest of the comments and not as any type of an attack, just my opinion :).

1. Time of day. Our clinic/spa for example has over 25 freelance therapists on call 7 days a week.  Many therapists work later shifts as to accommodate people after they get off work.  Personally, I'd never take the time of day into consideration when booking my massage thinking the therapist is "fresher" in the morning.  That may very well be the case at some places and with some therapists but not with others. A therapist who is responsible will never book for more that they are able to deliver at 100%.  We strive to give 100% all the time, even if it is after hours.
  2. Discounts.  Buyer beware.  There has been a huge discount movement lately in part fueled by corporate massage chains (think $39 massage)  and spas looking to compete with them using platforms like Groupon and Living social.  Try to find a therapist with experience that works well for you and pay them well for their time.  There are thousands of different types of massage or "modalities".  I know therapists that charge $40 an hour and those who charge $200 an hour. Some take tips while others don't.  You don't always get what you are paying for, but...in general it is a good indicator.  Remember that being in that killer spa with the waterfall's, herbal teas, fluffy robes, Swiss products, immaculate uniforms and hot tubs may very well be the reason it is a $150 massage, not that the therapist does amazing work with energy, carpal tunnel, back pain, sciatica, scoliosis, bunions or foot pain. That being said, if you find am excellent therapist or team of therapists,  packages are awesome, more so for the fact that the benefits of regular massage are cumulative and the patient benefits from the therapist being able to see you regularly to make the most of your treatment.  Of the thousands of people I've worked on, I know of none who couldn't have used a follow up visit, 10 or 30 visits afterwords.  I have patients I see three times a week who are still benefiting by leaps and bounds each time.    ( Granted I also do Active Isolated Stretching and rehabilitative exercise)
  3. Regarding talking to your therapist about supplements... Maybe, maybe not.  In theory, it sounds good and certain therapists may be very qualified and a wealth of knowledge.  Now in Florida, as massage therapists, it is not within our scope of practice to advise on supplements.  Nothing of supplements is taught in school,  and it is advised against by the Board of Massage Therapy. If I did it, I could loose my license.  Now, as a certified personal trainer, I can give you some advise.  Not advise like your Doctor, dietitian or nutritionist can, but some to a degree.  This is different in each state/country, so beware.  I do tell people what is working for me, and not to buy their vitamins from the dollar store. I have two excellent Oriental Doctors and one chiropractor whom I can refer people out to for specific nutritional testing and advise as needed.  If you're massage therapist is confident enough to refer you out to other qualified medical professionals, you probably have a keeper...as long as their techniques work for you.
  4. Training varies greatly. In some states, there is still no licensing. Anyone can be a therapist. In other states and Canada, it's a 2 year degree and highly regulated.  Find out a little about what kind of licensing your state goes through.  The therapist that has been practicing for 25 years additionally may not be right for you.  We pride ourselves in hiring the top therapists in our region and recruiting those from even further away as they become available. I've hired those straight out of school and turned many away that had been practicing for decades.
  5. Regarding telling the therapist what you want worked on and what you don't.  Tricky one here.   I've been on both sides of the fence on this one myself. Nothing used to get me worked up more than when my neck was out and the therapist spends 10 minutes of an hour on my neck.  Now... 30 years after my first professional massage, I now know to trust in the process more. Neck pain, is going to probably translate into a tight chest and shoulders, which 95% of the time must be released for that neck pain to go away.  If you're low back or legs, buttocks or ankles are tight as well...guess what... that neck isn't going to stay free for long. Carpal tunnel is usually more about whats going on further up in the arm and shoulder, and less in the wrist area.  My advise,  find the best therapist you can afford in you're area tell the therapist you're problems, desires and goals and let them formulate a treatment plan.  It might be quite different from what you think you need.  Now, if you have an aversion to having your feet touched or really love a good scalp massage, then by all means, speak up.  It really helps to start to think of the body as a whole and get away from the "it hurts here, rub here" mentality to get the most bang for the buck on your treatment.        
  6. Hope this helps.  Water, water, water.  And try to schedule some rest for yourself afterwords...but as  Ruth Ann recommended, a little light walking, swimming, rebounding at some point later in the day is a great boost to the lymph system to get the toxic sludge moving out of your body.  Relax, enjoy and BREATH!

I have no doubt that many places that have cheap massages don't deliver good service. In my case, the massage service was in part paid for by the university, and so I actually got a really good quality massage for half the price of the massage I got elsewhere.

I want to add that I am not willing to get a top quality massage because I already spend 5% of my meager earnings on massage. If I had a nice starting salary and wasn't still dependent on my parents, I would be happy to go to the person who does the best quality work.

You all are probably going to think I'm crazy here! :  ) But during my divorce I was feeling a bit stressed and the local massage mill (cheap-o place) had a special discount for first time customers. I went for it, thinking hey...its only 40 bucks and I'll feel better even if it isn't top notch. Wow! I was pleasantly surprised, as the massage therapist I had was so excellent, giving the absolute best massage I've ever had. Just the right pressure ( i like it kind of deep) and very quiet and respectful of my need to relax (I've had chatty massage therapists...not what I am looking for) and paid attention to my requests (neck tension from stress, etc). Since then, I have gone back many times (paying full price or waiting for a coupon) and I ALWAYS tip him well since he does such great work. So, check around, sometimes an awesome massage therapist is working for lesser known places.

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service