Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Several years ago, I was OBSESSED with natural, homemade skincare.  I devoured numerous books on the subject, crafted numerous natural skincare products (soaps, moisurizers, salt scrubs, lip balms, etc), and even designed my own recipes.  I learned an awful lot about skincare and skincare ingredients.  If I had to boil it all down to a few simple lessons, here is what they would be:

  • Sun protection - the ONLY beauty product that can help prevent wrinkles is sunscreen.  Sun damage causes wrinkles and nothing can get rid of them (permanently).  By shielding your skin from the sun through skincare products that have sunscreen, or wearing a had, you will do more good for your skin than any expensive skincare product.
  • Exfoliating - You don't need any expensive exfoliating products for your face.  What I find works best is every 3-4 days (NOT everyday) scrub your face with a regular facecloth, using your normal facial cleanser.  Some companies sell disposable, exfoliating wipes, which is just throwing money away.  In addition, acne is caused when the pores get plugged up, and by exfoliating you are helping prevent the plugging up of the pores with dead skin cells.
  • ALWAYS moisturize - even if you have oily skin, moisturize your face.  If you have oily skin and you try to "dry it out" by not putting on moisturizer, your skin will compensate by producing MORE oil.  So instead of passing on the moisturizer, choose the proper moisturizer for your skin type.
  • WHEN to moisturize - as soon as you get out of the shower, or wash your face, lightly dab the excess moisture on your face so that it is still damp (dewy).  Then apply your moisturizer.  This will help seal in the moisture.

As for what products to use, I really like jojoba oil on my face.  It is an oil that is most simiar to sebum, which is the oil produced by our skin.  But I usually like to mix up different oils depending on each person's needs.  Macadamia nut oil is also good - very light.  Calendula oil for folks with very sensitive skin.  I could go on...

 

So these tips seem to work for me - I hope they work for you!

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

I like jojoba oil, but havent used it on my face. do you just put a few drops and your hands and apply, or do you mix it in a carrier oil? Im actually looking for a good moisturizer that I can eaily make. Ive been using raw honey as my face wash for a few months now and I really like that! Thanks for passing on your tips, i LOVE to know what other people are making for their body care!

Jojoba oil is very light, and you could certainly apply it directly to your skin.  I'd probably put a few drops on your fingers and start rubbing it on your face, using more as needed.  Jojoba will let your skin breathe, whereas some other oils do not.  I think almond oil is one of those non-breathing oils - very thick and "slippery" and that's why it's the oil of choice by masseuses.

 

One other thing - I wanted to mention and this is about sunscreens.  There are 2 types:  chemical and blocking.  The chemical sunscreens work with your skin to screen out harmful UV rays.  These are the ones found in the majority of sunscreens, and they have to be applied 20 minutes before going out into the sun.  The phycial blocker sunscreens are usually made with titanium dioxide, a very fine, white powder.  I believe this is actually found in a lot of powder foundations.  It forms a physical barrier and it starts working as soon as it is applied.  The downfall is that in higher quantities, you can actually see a whitish haze on your skin.

 

IMHO, the best sunscreen combines both - a bit of titanium dioxide and a bit of the chemical sunscreens.  Actually, it would be great if I didn't have to use chemical sunscreens at all, but using a sunscreen with only titanium dioxide just isn't aesthetically pleasing on the skin.

 

But you can wear a hat and sunglasses too :)

 

I think I'll dig out my books and share some information hear on the cosmetic benefits of different vegetable oils and butters.  Anyone interested in hearing about this?

Right now I've been using Coconut Oil for my skin when I get out of the shower. I like how it makes my skin feel and it smells good.

 

Ayn, how do you use the raw honey as a face wash? Do you leave it on as a mask for a few minutes. I have raw honey at home that I barely use and maybe should start thinking of doing something like that.

Raw honey to wash my face?  Something I've gotta try!   If I recall correctly, honey is a humectant, so it attracts moisture.  Glycerin does the same thing and that's why it's used in many beauty products (like lotions).  So using honey to wash your face makes sense to help attract moisture to the skin.

 

So I guess I need to practice what I preach - I hadn't been using my treasure trove of oils that I've had in the fridge.  So I pulled out the jojoba oil and applied it after my shower.  It's amazing how so little can go such a long way!  I used just a few drops when I realized I used too much.  I also used some shea butter on my body, and my kids used it too.  My youngest has a rash on the inside of her elbows so I put some shea butter on that too.  If I had more time I would have put a few drops of lavender essential (good for everything that ails) oil in some calendula oil (soothing), applied that to the insider of her elbows, let it absorb for a while, and then "seal" it with some sort of butter (shea, cocoa, aloe, etc.).

yes, Tiffany...love this info...keep it coming
Every kind of moisturizer I have used has caused me to break out. I have to choose between wrinkles or pimples. I use a scrub with jojoba beads to prevent the dead skin cell blockage. Any suggestions?
Ill read just about anything about skincare and "homemade hippy products" as we call them in my house...

InTheRawWithTiffany said:

Jojoba oil is very light, and you could certainly apply it directly to your skin.  I'd probably put a few drops on your fingers and start rubbing it on your face, using more as needed.  Jojoba will let your skin breathe, whereas some other oils do not.  I think almond oil is one of those non-breathing oils - very thick and "slippery" and that's why it's the oil of choice by masseuses.

 

One other thing - I wanted to mention and this is about sunscreens.  There are 2 types:  chemical and blocking.  The chemical sunscreens work with your skin to screen out harmful UV rays.  These are the ones found in the majority of sunscreens, and they have to be applied 20 minutes before going out into the sun.  The phycial blocker sunscreens are usually made with titanium dioxide, a very fine, white powder.  I believe this is actually found in a lot of powder foundations.  It forms a physical barrier and it starts working as soon as it is applied.  The downfall is that in higher quantities, you can actually see a whitish haze on your skin.

 

IMHO, the best sunscreen combines both - a bit of titanium dioxide and a bit of the chemical sunscreens.  Actually, it would be great if I didn't have to use chemical sunscreens at all, but using a sunscreen with only titanium dioxide just isn't aesthetically pleasing on the skin.

 

But you can wear a hat and sunglasses too :)

 

I think I'll dig out my books and share some information hear on the cosmetic benefits of different vegetable oils and butters.  Anyone interested in hearing about this?


I scoop out about 1/2 TBS or so in my hand and rub it on my face, leave it on a few minutes and rinse it off. I find my skin feels better if I rinse it off with my hands, not a washcloth. I almost feel like I dont need ANY moisturizer if I rinse it off with my hands, but do if I use a washcloth. My skin feel so soft and nice after using it. Try it for a few days and see if it works for you!
Jenine said:

Right now I've been using Coconut Oil for my skin when I get out of the shower. I like how it makes my skin feel and it smells good.

 

Ayn, how do you use the raw honey as a face wash? Do you leave it on as a mask for a few minutes. I have raw honey at home that I barely use and maybe should start thinking of doing something like that.


I love shea butter too! I use that in a deodorant that ive made. We will see how it works in the summer time, Ive just started making it a few months ago, so its been cold, but it also has jojoba oil, and smells great!
InTheRawWithTiffany said:

Raw honey to wash my face?  Something I've gotta try!   If I recall correctly, honey is a humectant, so it attracts moisture.  Glycerin does the same thing and that's why it's used in many beauty products (like lotions).  So using honey to wash your face makes sense to help attract moisture to the skin.

 

So I guess I need to practice what I preach - I hadn't been using my treasure trove of oils that I've had in the fridge.  So I pulled out the jojoba oil and applied it after my shower.  It's amazing how so little can go such a long way!  I used just a few drops when I realized I used too much.  I also used some shea butter on my body, and my kids used it too.  My youngest has a rash on the inside of her elbows so I put some shea butter on that too.  If I had more time I would have put a few drops of lavender essential (good for everything that ails) oil in some calendula oil (soothing), applied that to the insider of her elbows, let it absorb for a while, and then "seal" it with some sort of butter (shea, cocoa, aloe, etc.).

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service