Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Nothing compares to the chia seed when talking about hydration and endurance. Once soaked, these tiny seeds open up and absorb 9 times their volume in water. The seeds, once fully hydrated, form a gel that is phenomenal at helping to keep your body hydrated. This gel is also 90% soluble fiber, which is beneficial for your digestive track and helps to lower cholesterol even more effectively than oatmeal. And talk about an impressive nutritional profile....the seeds have twice the protein of any other seed or grain, five times the calcium of milk, copious amounts of omega 3 and omega 6 which are essential oils for the body. There are boast a long list of valuable nutrients. Because of the soluble fiber in the gel, incorporating chia into one's diet is very helpful for people with diabetes, as the gel forms a wall around ingested carbohydrates in the body, causing their release to be more slow and steady into one's system. Savvy dieters love the seeds because the addition of the gel incorporated into food or drink has no taste and helps to provide the feeling of being full and satisfied. Using the hydrated seeds is an excellent way to control one's appetite. Although these seeds have super star status, they are very affordable and are carried at most health food stores or you can find them here.

One word of warning....don't use chia seeds unless you have soaked them for at least 10 minutes. If you eat them dry, they will actually use your bodily fluid to expand and that can cause digestive issues and dehydration for some.

We have some great recipes that call for chia seeds in our Kitchen and in the Liquid Lounge. Here is one of my favorites: Chocolate Chia Crackers

Have you used chia seeds before? Any recipes or ideas you'd like to share?

Views: 1603

Replies to This Discussion

Especially during the colder months I enjoy adding the chia gel (Tablespoon) to my herbal tea along w/some coconut oil. It feels nutritious like a soup almost.
I mix 1-2 T of chia in my bottle of water. I love it!
Chia seeds are amazing lil critters! Luv em!
I've been using chia seeds for a while now because I knew they were good for me, but thanks for giving the details!
Does anyone know if it's better to break the chia seeds before consuming? I heard that our bodies are unable to break down flax seed, so to get the best use of them (and the omegas) they must be crushed or ground.

Can you put chia seeds in smoothies? I already put about a tablespoon of flax in my smoothies each morning but I just purchased chia seeds on Amazon and I can't wait to find lots of things to do with them!

What are some of the things you do with chia seeds?

Chocolate Chia Crackers
Yield 1 tray (quantity depends on size you cut)

1 cup chia seeds 
2 cups water
Juice of 1 orange
1 apple, cored & chopped
1/4 cup raw chocolate powder
2 tablespoons raw agave nectar
6 dates, pitted
dash sea salt

Soak your chia seeds for 30 minutes in a large bowl with 1 1/2 cups of the water. Blend the remaining ingredients (including the remaining 1/2 cup of water) together. Add the blended mixture to the bowl with soaked chia seeds and stir to mix. Break up any chia seed clumps with your rubber spatula or spoon. Let the mixture sit (as is) for 15-30 minutes.

Spread the mixture on a dehydrator tray lined with a non-stick paraflex sheet and score to desired size. (For a thinner cracker, divide between two trays.) Dehydrate at 135 degrees for 60 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 105 degrees and dehydrate another 6-8 hours. Flip crackers onto another tray without a paraflex sheet and peel off the paraflex sheet being used. Dehydrate another 6-10 hours, or until you reach your desired dryness.

So in love with Chia!  The market I work at has some drinks called "Mamma Chia" that are delicious, so I began making something similar at home with my own juice.  I love coming up with different combinations of juice to soak them in and then I just drink the gel.  Yum :P

I love a bread/cracker recipe that I found. It incorporates juicer pulp, flax meal and chia seeds, plus other things. Even my dog loves it broken into pieces for snack treats.

GT's synergy kombucha makes a Black Chia that is to die for!

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service