Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

This section is solely devoted to the recipes for and instruction of raw fermented beverages like kombucha, rejuvelac and raw vegan kefir.

Kombucha: Kombucha contains many different cultures along with several organic acids, active enzymes, amino acids, and polyphenols. Kombucha fans report many advantages such as increased energy, sharper eyesight, better skin condition, appetite control and and better overall digestion, just to name a few.
Rejuvelac: is a fermented liquid used to improve digestion. Rejuvelac is prepared using whole grains such as whole wheat, rye or quinoa. Rejuvelac can also be used as a ‘starter’ for other fermented foods such as raw nut and seed sauces, cheeses, and Essene Breads. Rejuvelac contains eight of the B vitamins, vitamins E and K, and a variety of proteins, dextrines, carbohydrates, phosphates, saccharides and amylases. It is rich in enzymes that assist both digestion and the growth of friendly bacteria such as lactobacillus bifidus. Lactobacillus produces a lactic acid that helps your colon maintain its natural vitamin-producing facility.
Raw Vegan Kefir: Vegan Kefir is most usually made from the water of young coconuts. This liquid is then fermented by either using a kefir packet, or a water kefir grain. This converts the sugars in the juice into probiotics. This creates a bubbly, hydrating, tasty drink which is also widely believed to enhance digestion and settle the stomach.

Views: 1851

Replies to This Discussion

Karyn Calabrese shows how to make Rejuvelac:

I just finished reading her new book, Soak Your Nuts and decided that I would make Rejuvelac.

I found this...she just put it up today!!

Rejuvelac

2 cups of wheatberries

10 cups of purified water

Soak the wheatberries in 4 cups of water for 24 hours.

Drain and rinse the wheatberries in a large mesh colander.  Set aside for 24 hours.

Transfer wheatberries to food processor or blender and process until smooth..

Put ground wheatberries into a clean glass jar.  Add remaining 6 cups of water.

Cover with cheesecloth or mesh screen.  Use a rubberband to secure it.

Let ferment another 48 hours.  The longer it ferments, the stronger it will be.

Strain it and put into clean glass jars.  Cover tightly.  Stored in the fridge, it will keep for 4 weeks.

If you don't drink all of it before it spoils, water your plants with it! : )

How old is "too old"? I gave someone a quart of home-brewed kombucha about 1-1/2 years ago. They gave it back to me the other week (doubt it was even opened). Is this still okay to drink?

Open it up and stand back.  It will either smell like strong vinegar or fizz all over the counter.   I don't think Kombucha ages well ;-)       Could be wrong, but I don't think I'd drink it.

Can you make Rejuvelac from coconut water instead of regular water?  I am going to be down in So. Florida next week and a good neighbor has a full coconut tree.  I was going to ask them for a couple so that I can use the water.  What do you think? Will it ferment properly with coconut water?

Does anyone have experience in making rejuvelac from Amaranth?

I just remembered that I bought some rye berries for Rejuvelac last time I was in Ft. Lauderdale. I've made some with winter wheat berries and it was very good. I've heard rye was even better. Has anyone tried other types? What's your favorite?

This is perfect for what I'm looking for.

Penni said:

>After a few days in the fridge

Does fermentation continue in the fridge?

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service