Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Many of us often end up eating raw side dishes as our main meal. They are also a wonderful addition pared with a fluffy salad or soup to make for a lovely lunch or dinner. As with all of the other sections, please add your favorite recipes....letting us know if it's an original or the source from where it originally came.

Photos are always appreciated.

Views: 6513

Replies to This Discussion

here is something i am making today!!
i found it online without an author
it looks like an eggplant salsa/salad
for those who haven't tried caponata before

CAPONATA:

1 medium eggplant or mixed eggplant and zucchini,peeled, 1/4"dice approx 4 cups
1 cup tomato, 1/4" dice
1 sweet bell pepper, 1/4" dice
¼ cup red onion,or more to taste, 1/4" dice
¼ cup olives 1/4" dice

dressing:
½ cup sundried tomato, soaked
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons agave
3 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
1 clove garlic, or more to taste

Preparation
prepare dressing ingredients in magic bullet or blender, pour over rest of ingredients,and mix well. good right away or can be marinated several days in fridge.

Mexican Squash "Rice" by Ani Phyo

1 Acorn squash, about 1 lb. peeled, seeded and cut into little chunks (I used butternut squash)
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
1 tsp. sea salt
(I also added chili powder to give it a little more kick and cover up the squash flavor)

Pulse squash in food processor until rice sized and mix all ingredients in large bowl.

Jalapeño corn tortilla chips from Raw Food Real World

3 cups fresh corn, from about 3 ears (or use frozen, thawed sweet corn)
1 1/2 cup red or orange bell pepper
1/2 cup onion
3/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup hemp seeds, optional
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1 – 2 jalapenos, seeds removed
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sea salt

In a food processor, chop the corn, bell pepper, and onion until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until just combined.

Using an offset spatula, spread the dough thinly onto three 14 inch Teflex lined dehydrator trays. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 6 – 8 hours, or overnight. Flip the sheets over onto the tray and carefully peel away the liners. Break or cut w/ a pizza cutter into chip shapes. Place back in the dehydrator for 4 – 6 hours, or until crisp. Store in an airtight container for a week or two.

CHERRY SALSA
Although this keeps for several days in your frig.....it won't last that long : - )

1 1/2 cups fresh cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and diced
1/3 cup sweet onion, minced
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Blend all ingredients, then cover and refrigerate. Allow the flavors to acquaint themselves for about 1 hour before serving.

PENNI'S PATIO SALSA
Most of these ingredients can easily be grown in pots on your patio!

24 golden, cherry or pear patio tomatoes
2 small heirloom tomatoes
1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 limes, juiced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 spring onions, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper

Blend all ingredients, then cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.
Sprouted Garbanzo Hummus
by Ann Harper
All the recipes for hummus in the multitude of raw books I have are either nut or zucchini based. Here is my version using sprouted garbanzos which tastes like the real deal and (for me) has no digestive complications.

1 cup dried garbanzos soaked overnight
2-4 garlic cloves
juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
salt to taste 1/8-1/4 tsp.
cumin to taste(if you like it)
just enough water to make beans move in blender

Put all ingredients in high speed blender and blend till smooth.
(add olives or peppers if you want to switch it up a bit.)

Serve with crudites, flax crackers, or a plain ole carrot stick-yummy!
Raw Cheezy Chips~for potato chip lovers

Diakon peeled and sliced thin on a mandolin
nutritional yeast
onion powder
salt of choice

mix together~to taste

I am eating mine raw. This preserves the water content, but I do have a few in the dehydrator with my raw crackers. We will see how they turn out.

I just made this off the top of my head. I've been eating my diakon sliced thinly while my family munches on potato chips and tonight I decided to add a little flavor.

Be creative and add the seasonings you prefer.
:)
Simple Carrot and Beet Slaw

1 peeled beet, finely grated
2 large carrots, and finely grated
a nob of fresh ginger, finely grated
the juice of a fresh lemon
cilantro, finally chopped (optional)

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and viola!

I debated about putting in finely minced garlic, salt and pepper, which I think would be absolutely delicious, but I decided to keep this version sweet as I have been missing the sweetness of roasted beets!

Use your discretion on amounts (depending on if you prefer a red or orange slaw) and seasonings. Let me know if you try something different.

I can see myself enjoying this straight out of the bowl (and it makes a lot!) or in lettuce wraps using a creamy avocado soup as a dipping sauce! However, I can just as easily imagine taking it to a family dinner and watching it fly off the table!
Ok, so about 6 months ago, I saw the Youtube video where Philip McCluskey was making raw popcorn and have been meaning to try it.... Well, tonite, I finally did! So easy, I mean, EASY and tastes Mmmm.... unusual, but very good! Amazingly mimics cheese popcorn!!! here's what you need:

1 head of cauliflower
Sea salt of choice
Nutritional Yeast

Just break the cauli head into bite size pieces, put in a ziplock bag, spinkle with the sea salt, shake, shake shake, then add as much NYeast as you see fit ~ shake, shake, shake some more!!! I'm loving this!! In the SAD sense of things, I "was" a popcorn addict, so this is a great alternative for me and all you former popcorn peeps out there!!! RAW ROCKS!!!

ENJOY ;o)
Frank Giglio's Winter Carrot-Shiitake Salad
(I am putting it here instead of the Salad Bar because it seems more like a side dish than a salad)

Here’s a great addition to any winter meal. Roots are very important in the colder months, for they are warming and help us to ground down. If you can, look for farm fresh, since they are generally sweeter and more nutritious than the pre bagged ones

8 medium sized shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
Place in a small bowl, add:
½ lime, juiced
1T olive oil
1T miso paste(perferably South River Miso-Chick Pea)
Allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile….
Grate 4 cups of carrots; add to a large mixing bowl
Add:
1 red bell pepper, julienne
3T sliced red onions
small handful, cilantro, roughly chopped
1T ginger, grated
1 lime, juiced…2T olive oil
1t fresh ground coriander seed
1t fresh red chili, diced, (optional)
Now add in mushrooms and gently toss all the ingredients together.
Choco Crunchy Munchy Buckwheat Snacks - Great for Breakfast Too!

Susan asked me to post this...so here it is:

A fun, nutritious snack food, but feel free to add a little nut mylk, bananas, and other fresh fruit, and enjoyed this as a healthy breakfast. This morning I gave it to W with some almond milk, raw sunflower seeds, goji berries, shredded coconut and a dash of cinnamon. He loved it.

This was my own experiment and I don't have exact measurements but there are many possibilities you can add to this. Get creative!

Approximate ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sprouted buckwheat groats, dehydrated over night (*See directions for sprouting below)

1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 2hours

1/2 cup raisins, soaked 2 hours

1/2 cup walnuts, soaked and chopped

2 -3 Tbsp cacao powder

2 - 3 Tbsp agave nectar (optional)

3 dates, soaked, pitted and finely chopped

1 tsp cinnamon

shredded coconut (optional)

salt to taste

In a large bowl, mix buckwheat with all ingredients and sprinkle on a non-stick sheet, breaking into clusters and dehydrate for 8-10 hours or until crunchy at 110 degrees. If not totally dry, flip over and dehydrate until done. (you can break into more cluster as they dehydrate so don't worry if clusters are too large)

Note: You can do this in your oven, Set on lowest temperature and leave door cracked open. Keep an eye on it and toss them around every few hours.

----------*Sprouting Buckwheat Groats------

Rinse, clean, and soak in water for 2 hours. (Buckwheat does not need to soak overnight as it absorbs water quickly).

Rinse well and drain really well. Return to a large glass jar and cover with cheese cloth and lid rim or rubber band to hold in place, and lay jar sideways away from direct light. Rinse well every 6 hours for 24 - 36 hours. (Buckwheat gets slimy so be sure to rinse thoroughly each time, drain well and return to jar).

On final rinse, leave in colander to drain well. Spread on non-stick dehydrator tray and dehydrate over night.

Follow steps above for crunchy treats.

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service