Raw Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Many of us often end up eating raw side dishes as our main meal. They are also a wonderful addition pared with a fluffy salad or soup to make for a lovely lunch or dinner. As with all of the other sections, please add your favorite recipes....letting us know if it's an original or the source from where it originally came.

Photos are always appreciated.

Views: 5569

Replies to This Discussion

Spicy Cheezy Zucchini Rounds

1 zucchini sliced into thin rounds.

1T olive oil

1 tsp nutritional yeast (or more)

1T ground nuts (I used walnuts - it would be fine without them)

Sea salt, cayenne & black pepper to taste.

Toss and eat!

Carrot salad with Raisins

Tonight I made this REALLY easy salad as a side dish.
It is was truly delicious and I was done in 5 minutes.
And the best part: Everyone liked it, even the kids!
Ingredients:
a few carrots, grated
lemon juice
extra virgin olive oil
a cup (or two) RAISINS.

Just mix everything together in a bowl and let it sit for a while so the raisins get a bit soaked.
I think it goes with most main dishes (I had a chicory, pear and walnut salad as the main course).

But I think I'll make it tomorrow again in the afternoon and it as a snack...
Last night I just had to have something but didn't know what. Then I remembered about the raw pecan pie........Take a majool date (pitted first) and stuff a pecan inside. That was the best little snack and the quickest I've ever done and delicious too.

Don't know where it came from, but thanks to whomever!
Posted by Laura Kalinski
from www.rawfoodworld.com

1 Red Bell Pepper – Chopped
1 cup Macadamia Nuts (soaked for at least 4 hours)
Salt and Cayenne Pepper to your taste

First place the chopped Red Bell Pepper in the blender or food processor, then add the rest of the ingredients over the Red Bell Pepper and blend until smooth.

Use as a sauce over broccoli or zucchini pasta for Mac and Cheese.

Or for Cheez-it Crackers:

Spread on a Teflex sheet, parchment paper, waxed paper or fruit roll-up tray and dehydrate for approximately 24 hours at 105-115 degrees. After approximately 8-10 hours, cut the crackers to desired size and flip.

I haven't tried this yet and will make them over the weekend - I miss, cheese, Cheez-its, Cheetoes, etc. (I blogged about that)
Cheeze Nips (from goneraw.com)

* 1 C Sunflower seeds (soaked 4 hrs and dehydrated)
* 1 C Brazil nuts (soaked and dehydrated)
* 1 C Almonds (soaked and dehydrated)
* 1 big tomato
* 1 whole red pepper, diced
* ¼ C ground flax
* 1 pinch cumin or to taste
* 2 teaspoons salt or a bit less to taste
*1 Tbsp taco seasoning
*1 tsp onion powder
*1 tsp garlic powder

Preparation

Process all ingredients and spread on teflex as thin as you like, after a few hours score into squares and leave until dry on top then flip and leave until crispy. Takes a good day or so.

Date/Nectarine/Peach/Brazil/Cashew Bites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:

2 cups raw Brazil nuts
2 cups raw cashews
8 medjool dates
1/2 cup each RE-hydrated nectarines and peaches
sea salt

Put 1 1/2 cups of the raw Brazil nuts in a food processor and pulverize or grind into very small pieces, about the size for pesto. Does not have to be perfect. They will be different sizes and some will be very fine. This is good because it's a hard nut. Then add 8 pitted medjool dates, they must be medjools. The fresher the better. Older dates may be drier. Then mix in the dates to form a dough but don't overmix.

Then add 1/2 cup more of Brazil nuts and 2 cups raw cashews. Cashews are a softer nut and can be various very small chunks and some fine. No big chunks. Add a pinch of sun-dried sea salt and a squirt of fresh squeezed lemon juice and grind for a few seconds until mixed. The cashews should be ground fairly fine with some chunks. Feel the dough or mixture to see if it holds together. It'll be a little sticky and it'll set up in the refrigerator.

Now you can also add goji berries or other dried fruit if you like or a little shredded coconut just until mixed in. Don't overmix.

Spread the dough into an 8, 9 or 10 inch square dish or 10 inch corning ceramic dish, depending on the thickness you want. You can also form the dough into balls. Place in the freezer for an hour or the refrigerator for a couple of hours or more. When set, slice into bars or into smaller pieces for a quick snack.

Gotta keep in the fridge though...(my note)

from: Helen Hecker (http://ezinearticles.com/?Free-Raw-R...ipe&id=2429129)
I do a version of this and add ground seeds i.e. sunflower and/or pumpkin. I think my receipe came from "coconutboi" . I do 1 cup of various nuts and 1 cup of various seeds; 1/4 c. coconut.
The goo to hold it all together is raisans, majool dates, and dried cranberries that I work in by hand. Gets real hard in the fridge and great for a snack. This is a great recepie because you can change it up anyway you like. One time I even put cocoa nibs in for a chocolate flavor.

Veganforlife said:
Date/Nectarine/Peach/Brazil/Cashew Bites

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:

2 cups raw Brazil nuts
2 cups raw cashews
8 medjool dates
1/2 cup each RE-hydrated nectarines and peaches
sea salt

Put 1 1/2 cups of the raw Brazil nuts in a food processor and pulverize or grind into very small pieces, about the size for pesto. Does not have to be perfect. They will be different sizes and some will be very fine. This is good because it's a hard nut. Then add 8 pitted medjool dates, they must be medjools. The fresher the better. Older dates may be drier. Then mix in the dates to form a dough but don't overmix.

Then add 1/2 cup more of Brazil nuts and 2 cups raw cashews. Cashews are a softer nut and can be various very small chunks and some fine. No big chunks. Add a pinch of sun-dried sea salt and a squirt of fresh squeezed lemon juice and grind for a few seconds until mixed. The cashews should be ground fairly fine with some chunks. Feel the dough or mixture to see if it holds together. It'll be a little sticky and it'll set up in the refrigerator.

Now you can also add goji berries or other dried fruit if you like or a little shredded coconut just until mixed in. Don't overmix.

Spread the dough into an 8, 9 or 10 inch square dish or 10 inch corning ceramic dish, depending on the thickness you want. You can also form the dough into balls. Place in the freezer for an hour or the refrigerator for a couple of hours or more. When set, slice into bars or into smaller pieces for a quick snack.

Gotta keep in the fridge though...(my note)

from: Helen Hecker (http://ezinearticles.com/?Free-Raw-R...ipe&id=2429129)

Raw "Potato" Salad

Pickled Beets

3 medium sized beets
1-2 carrots
1/2 red onion
olive oil
garlic powder
onion powder
salt & pepper
Bragg’s cider vinegar
agave syrup

Peel beets and process in food processor with julienne attachment (or slice thin). Next, slice carrot and red onion very thin. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in olive oil. Sprinkle in garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir. Next, add Bragg’s cider vinegar to taste. Finish with a drizzle of agave syrup for sweetness and stir.

*Taste good right away, but tastes even better the longer it marinades.
Pepita Brittle
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup raw, hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw honey (I used local wildflower honey...yum)
1/2 tsp. sea salt

1. Soak seeds for 4 hours in enough purified water to cover by 1". Drain into a colander; leave to dry about 30 minutes. I spread them out on a cotton towel. Pulse-chop in food processor or blender for a few seconds, until seeds are broken but not ground into meal.
2. Transfer to large bowl; stir in honey. Sprinkle salt evenly over mixture and mix thoroughly. Mixture will have a granular, moist consistency.
3. Using a spatula, spread half the mixture on a mesh dehydrator screen, forming a square 1/4" thick; repeat with remaining mixture on another screen. Dehydrate at 105 degrees F for 22-26 hours, or until consistency is like thick, slightly flexible leather.
4. Peel brittle off screens and cool on waxed paper for 30 minutes; it will harden as it cools. Break into pieces and store in ziplock freezer bag at room temperature for 1 week or refrigerated for 2 weeks.

Note: Mine never dehydrated like thick, slightly flexible leather nor did it cool and harden. But it still tastes wonderful. Maybe it was because of the heat and humidity here in Michigan.

Serves 8. Analysis per serving: 191 calories, 5g protein, 11g fat (2g saturated), 1g fiber, 22g carbohydrate, 121 mg sodium

Printed in June 2010, Energy Times magazine with this credit: Reprinted with permission from Raw Energy by Stephanie Tourles (Storey Publishing, www.storey.com)
Chile-Lime Macadamia Nuts
Mathew Kenney 105degrees Global, LLC

6 1/2 cups macadamia nuts, soaked 1-2 hours, drained and dehydrated for 48 hours
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup agave
1 1/2 tablespoon lime zest
1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
2 teaspoons sea salt

Mix everything in a large bowl
Transfer to dehydrator screens and dehydrate for 36 hours
From the Culinary Resource Center of the Town & Country Markets in Seattle/Kitsap Cty.

Cherry Tomato Relish

1/4 C. Balsamic Vinegar (worth investing in a good one for this)
2 tsp. chopped oregano, or 1/2 tsp dried.
3/4 C. Extra Virgin Olive Oic
1 green chili (@ 4 oz. - select a type based on the heat level you like)
1 green onions, finely chopped
4 C. cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk vinegar and oregano together in a bowl. Slowly add in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Mix in chilies and onion. Chill dressing for 2 hours. Add tomatoes when reading to serve. Remember to taste and adjust salt and pepper.

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Support for Yourself & for Raw Food Rehab

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2014   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service