Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Most folks who are embracing a raw food diet/lifestyle end up moving away from most dairy products as they can be very mucous forming and aggravate other physical symptoms in lots of people. This section is devoted to raw vegan cheeses.

Views: 3000

Replies to This Discussion

Raw Vegan Cashew Cheese

• 2 cups raw cashews soaked in filtered water for 2 – 4 hours
  • 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup filtered water as needed for desired consistency
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
  • 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp freshly chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
  1. Place the cashews, 1/2 of the water, 1/2 of the lemon juice, garlic and sea salt in the food processor and pulse until roughly blended.
  2. Gradually add in more lemon juice, garlic and salt to taste. I have listed granulated garlic as optional. I find this is a nice touch if you like a garlicky cheese.

I like my cheese the consistency of ricotta. The more water you add, the creamier and thinner the cheese will become. Add less water for a thicker, more rustic cheese.

For a different flavour omit the nutritional yeast, garlic and 1/2 of the lemon juice from the basic recipe and try adding:

For herb cheese:

• 1 chopped green onion
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes

Tomato basil cheese

• 1 tsp organic tomato paste
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic
  • 4 Tbsp chopped fresh basil

for chilli chive cheese:

• 1 – 2 Tbsp Chopped Chives
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes

for chilli cheese

• 1 – 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • a pinch of red chilli flakes or chopped fresh chilli

or

• 1 – 2 Tbsp freshly chopped fresh flat parsley
  • 2 chopped green onions
  • 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 tsp ground chipotle or 1/2 finely chopped jalapeno pepper or 1 serrano chilli

for sweet cheese try:

• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp raw agave nectar

for truffle cheese try

• 2 tsp truffle oil
  • freshly ground pepper

sesame cheese

• 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 Tbsp tahini paste

Check out Heather Haxo Phillips Raw Vegan Cheeses Food Prep Demo in the Culinary Center!

Dairy-Free Cheeses

Raw, Vegan Cashew Nut~Fermented~Cheese

It is really easy (the recipe just looks long & hard, it's neither):

Simple 3 Ingredient Cashew Cheese Recipe (Raw/ Vegan/Gluten-Free)
by: Rita Hawthorne-Runnels

Here's a simple 3 ingredient raw cashew cheese recipe for cheese making beginners!
It makes a most excellent cheese that does not taste like health food.
...You can do this to any nut but cashews are the easiest for beginners because they have a lot of simple sugars that will feed the bacteria. The second best beginner nut is raw coconut flesh.

The Ingredients

*Raw Cashews

*Raw Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a very medicinal and "miracle" food. Among it's many, seemingly countless, benefits it is also a very good oil to take to loose weight. It shifts your bodies metabolism to a higher gear and promotes weight loss...
That aside it is included in this recipe so that the cheese hardens after you place it in the fridge. During fermentation the cheese "bubbles" and rises like bread does (given the right environment, like yogurt fermentation). When this happens you catch it at the right time and place it in the fridge where the coconut oil causes it to harden in place (coconut oil gets hard in cool environments) and this results in a fluffy happy cheese for your consuming pleasures. The science is simple! ♥

*A Starter
This is obtained from the water of lactofermented foods such as raw sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.
Another excellent starter is raw nut kefir. Which is super easy to make. That basically involves taking milk kefir grains (they can be vegan... don't worry, they're just called that), and making a "cashew milk" (blend cashews with water + a dash of clear agave nectar ), and letting the grains sit in the milk for a day or two.
You can also use coconut water kefir. Which involves taking the water from young coconuts and dropping water kefir grains into it and letting that sit for a week. That makes an excellent mineral, electrolyte, etc... rich drink. It's good if you do a lot of sports.
At any rate, there are a few options. Pick your weapon of choice... Just make sure it's really "raw" otherwise the cheese will fail.
In this case I'm using cashew "milk" kefir.

The Recipe:

In A Blender...

*2 Cups Starter

*1/2 cup coconut oil
(The more you use the harder the cheese will be, but the less it will "rise". If you don't have a controlled "warm" environment, like a food dehydrator or yogurt maker then use less.)

**Blend very, very well!

*Add a whole bag of cashews(2-3 cups)prior to soaking

**Blend it again... The desired consistency is that of cake icing

Repeat again until you fill your container a little more than 1/2 full. If you fill it too full then the cheese may rise too far and start crawling out.
The ideal containers are ones that are air tight.
Optionally mix in spices.   My favorite addition is a red chili pepper, nutritional yeast, & himalayan sea salt~that's awesome!

*Place containers in a warm dark environment where they can be kept warm-ish such as a food dehydrator or yogurt maker. If you have a food dehydrator then you can temperature control it. The cheese does best when it's warm and toasty.

*Let it sit overnight. You should start seeing air bubbles in it. When it's risen about 1/2 it's size place it in a fridge to harden.

Done!

Anyone heard that one should not eat more than 2 brazil nuts a day due to the amount of selenium?  Just curious.  :0)

Penni said:
Nut Cheez from Michael Stewart

1 1/4 cup nuts (I had brazil nuts handy)
1 whole yellow pepper (gives color and sweetness)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp of Nama Shoyu
1 Tbsp of Agave Nectar
~1/4 cup of water

I was happy with the result. Went well with the parsnip and carrot pasta tonight...
I make the Noritos Cheese all the time.  My daughter Emmalee loves it  and she is a picky eater!

Posting by cynde 

Basic Macadamia Cheese

2 cups macadamias, soaked for a minimum of 4 hours

1 cup water

1 teaspoon probiotics

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

Place the mixture in a strainer that has been lined with

cheesecloth, and place a weight on top. The weight should not

be so heavy that it pushes the cheese through the cloth, but

heavy enough to gently start to press the liquid out.

Leave to culture at room temperature for at least 24 but no

longer than 48 hours.

Once culturing is complete, stir or process in the following

ingredients:

¾ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons nutritional yeast

Transfer the cheese to a ring mould.

At this point you can remove the ring mould and place the

cheese in the refrigerator, or remove the ring mould and place

the cheese in a dehydrator at 105°F for 24 hours to get a rind.

I also made this Cheese from Russell James and my husband loves it - got him off Soya Cheese so I am very happy with that result - I tried it and although I am very difficult to please in textures and tastes have to admit that it wasn't bad at all - going to dehydrate the next batch to see how that goes for us both. 

Does anyone have any advice on storing this type of nut cheese please as I think it sweats in a tub in the fridge but don't want it to dry out without a lid?

Ayn said:

Posting by cynde 

Basic Macadamia Cheese

2 cups macadamias, soaked for a minimum of 4 hours

1 cup water

1 teaspoon probiotics

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

Place the mixture in a strainer that has been lined with

cheesecloth, and place a weight on top. The weight should not

be so heavy that it pushes the cheese through the cloth, but

heavy enough to gently start to press the liquid out.

Leave to culture at room temperature for at least 24 but no

longer than 48 hours.

Once culturing is complete, stir or process in the following

ingredients:

¾ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons nutritional yeast

Transfer the cheese to a ring mould.

At this point you can remove the ring mould and place the

cheese in the refrigerator, or remove the ring mould and place

the cheese in a dehydrator at 105°F for 24 hours to get a rind.

I also have problems with bell peppers, although for a different issue. Any help would be appreciated because so many recipes call for them. So far I've just been leaving them out, but it affects how some recipes turn out.

LaWayne

Dancing Raven said:

Aloha Penni, greetings from Maui. I was wondering what I could substitute for the bell pepper as it is in the "nightshade" family which is very unhealthy for me. I cannot eat anything in that group (Acid Reflux) but of course love cheese so any substitution suggestion would be helpful. Mahalo (thankyou) and blessings for a grand day.

Always,
Raven

Penni said:
RICH CHEDDAR SAUCE from Rejuvenate Your Life Recipes for Energy by Serene Allison
From RFR member Eden Grace 1 large red bell pepper
1/4 cup purified water
3/4 cup raw cashews, sunflow seeds, or almonds-or3/4 cup tahini
1 TBS. tahini(leave out when using tahini instead of nuts)
3 TBS.Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp.onion powder
1 clove garlic
2 TBS. lemon juice

Whiz in the blender until creamy
Add a little more pure water if it is too thick.
I used cashews, I haven't tried it with the other seeds or nuts :-)

Thai Baby Coconut Yogurt

Ingredients:

Two or Three Thai Baby Coconuts: drain and reserve the coconut water, meat cleaned of all brown bits and chopped

2 probiotic capsules

1 TB. coconut oil

1TB. coconut butter

reserved coconut water to blend

Recipe:

Place all the coconut meat into a blender. Add a little of the reserved coconut water at a time to create a pudding like consistency. Blend until smooth. Add 1TB. coconut oil and 1 TB. coconut butter and blend for just a few seconds to make smooth; you may add more coconut water to keep a smoother consistency. (do not over-blend after adding the coconut oil). Finally,  take apart and empty 2 probiotic capsules into the blended coconut. Do this by hand stirring it into the mixture so you do not damage your live probiotics.

Place your coconut mixture into a 1 quart jar. Place a paper towel or coffee filter on top of the jar and seal with a rubber band, or use yogurt maker jars. If you used a yogurt maker, follower manufacturers instructions.If you used a mason jar, place the jar inside your dehydrator on the lowest setting for about 8 hours. (You may leave it in a warm cupboard or on your counter instead of using the dehydrator, but it must be warm enough for it to culture).

At the end of eight hours, or time on your yogurt maker, remove the yogurt from yogurt maker or dehydrator, remove the paper towel/coffee filter, top with a regular lid and refrigerate your yogurt. It is ready to eat when it has cooled.

I topped my yogurt in the photo above with fresh raspberries, and fresh blackberries, and pumpkin seeds, *also not raw, optional drizzle of maple syrup...you can use any sweetener of your choice.

ENJOY!

Does anyone know if  nut cheeses (not fermented) can be frozen? I usually find that I can't eat all of what I make before it goes off.

I've tried making smaller batches, but I find that my food processor needs a certain amount of volume to function and yield the right consistency.

Any tips?

Thanks for this recipe. I hate when the other recipes say get this and that and you can't make the recipe because they are not normal items kept in the fridg.  Thanks again

EarthGirl ☮ said:

Raw Cashew Cheese from www.vegweb.com

1 1/2 cups raw cashews

1/4 to 1 cup water

1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tsp sea salt

2 dashes black pepper

1) Place the cashews in a medium sized bowl. Fill water 2" above cashews. Soak for two hours then drain.

2) Place in a blender or food processor with some, not all, of the water and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth then scrape into a bowl and cover. Set in a cool place for 24 hours. The cheese will set and become firmer by the next day.  Then it lasts about a week in the fridge.

Makes: 4 to 8 servings, Preparation time: 1 day

I just made this cheese today, and the food processor I used was not the greatest so the cheese isn't as smooth as it should be--in my opinion. It's sitting in a cool place right now waiting on the 24 hrs to pass, but I taste-tested it. Tastes pretty good, and it was very easy to make...just the thing for a beginner, which I am!

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service