Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

We have an amazing eatery here in Tulsa, Lone Wolf Banh Mi.  They started as a food truck and have built a loyal cult following. Now they have 2 brick and mortar locations and their business continues to thrive.  Although they offer a couple of impressive vegan options (my preference), I got a wild hair recently and decided to make my very own version at home. 

I'm thrilled to share this recipe with you! It was truly one of the most delicious creations I've made in a very long time. I used tofu, which I rarely eat, but I found a great non GMO brand at my local Whole Foods. If you're not into it, substitute sliced or cubed zucchini, or just go with more mushrooms. 

If you eat bread, you'll love this served as a big colossal sandwich, but it's just as good with the brilliantly flavored ingredients loaded into a butter lettuce cup.

For the Protein:

1 (14-ounce) package water-packed firm tofu, drained

1 cup sliced mushroom caps (I used baby bellos, but shiitake would be nice)

4 tablespoons Coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce

2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger

For the Pickled Vegetables:

1/3 cup rice vinegar

1/4 cup honey or coconut sugar

1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt

1 cup julienned carrots

1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced (optional - but its a gorgeous addition)

1 English cucumber, (peeled if not organic) and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)

1 julienne-cut scallion (green onion)

To Finish:

1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread or 1 head butter lettuce

vegan mayo (I found an amazing sirracha blend that was perfect)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs

black sesame seeds (optional)

jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced (I used peppadew peppers)

Cut tofu into cubes and place on paper towels, press gently with more paper towels to reduce moisture. Slice the mushrooms.

Combine the coconut aminos/tamari/soy sauce and ginger. Put the tofu cubes and mushrooms into a ziplock bag with the liquid, You can also do this in a shallow glass baking dish, if you're avoiding using plastic. Gently coat the tofu and mushrooms and refrigerate for up to 8 hours turning the mixture at least  once.

Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Add carrot radish, cucumber and scallion; toss well. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Heat remaining marinade in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu mixture and sauté 4 minutes on each side or until well cooked and golden.

If you're using bread - preheat broiler.

Cut bread in half lengthwise. Open halves, laying bread cut side up on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add mayo to both sides of the bread. Place tofu on bottom half of bread; top with carrot mixture, cilantro, scallions, black pepper and jalapeño slices. Top with top half of bread. Cut loaf crosswise into 6 equal pieces.

Or simply spoon the mixture into a couple of butter lettuce leaves. ENJOY!!

Views: 566

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yum!!!

Looks amazing! I have very fond memories from this site. Your foodie fridays were epic. It is great to see your new creations. I look forward to your new website. Thanks so much for all that you do!

I can't wait to try this...the wine would be great with it, too <3

Thank you, Joe, Jan and Linda!  Great to hear from you all!!! xoxo

Sounds Great. Will definitely try! I also enjoy this site as well, so much valuable information and recipes and I enjoy the entire concept. I've been using it since it was Raw Food Rehab-but lost my other login email.

This sounds and looks so good

Amazing I can't wait to try this out! 

This is a gorgeous post!  I wish I could find good, fresh mushrooms around here.  

So DO YOU have a new website?  I sure miss RFR!!!  It was so special.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

Blog Posts

I'm back, and desperate for healing...

Posted by Silmiriel on February 16, 2017 at 12:53pm 5 Comments

So, back after 3 years :)

Posted by Winterdrop on January 22, 2017 at 9:23am 1 Comment

Water fast

Posted by nancy Mahardy on May 24, 2016 at 10:06pm 0 Comments

Back on a juice feast day 5