Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Most folks who are embracing a raw food diet/lifestyle end up moving away from most dairy products as they can be very mucous forming and aggravate other physical symptoms in lots of people. This section is devoted to raw vegan cheeses.

Views: 3125

Replies to This Discussion

Tropical Fruit Yogurt

1 small pineapple (cored [save this for smoothies], peeled)
3 bananas
2 Champagne mangos (or one big one)
shredded coconut
2 avocados

Put all in a food processor and process until smooth. Garnish with more shredded coconut, goji berries, and cacao nibs.

I make this every week, well, at least every two weeks. I love it on nori sheets rolled up with cherry tomatoes, sprouts, and greens and sometimes sauerkraut - yup. I know, right? Sounds weird, but OH, so good.
I took this one step further and try to get sea greens into my diet anyway I can and I added a triple sea blend, (dulse, laver, and sea lettuce) flakes into it. Yum-oh, is this good - WOW!
I also use half cashews and half sunflower seeds and instead of the tahini (the 1 tablespoon)? I just throw in the blender 1 tablespoon of seasame seeds. they get ground up.
This is sooooo good.
I've made this, spread it out on a teflex sheet (kinda thin - like 1/8 inch) and dehydrated, then cut into squares and I have 'cheeze' slices. For sandwiches (see PHOTO) on onion bread - for a grilled 'cheeze'...

Penni said:
RICH CHEDDAR SAUCE from Rejuvenate Your Life Recipes for Energy by Serene Allison
From RFR member Eden Grace

1 large red bell pepper
1/4 cup purified water
3/4 cup raw cashews, sunflow seeds, or almonds-or3/4 cup tahini
1 TBS. tahini(leave out when using tahini instead of nuts)
3 TBS.Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp.onion powder
1 clove garlic
2 TBS. lemon juice

Whiz in the blender until creamy
Add a little more pure water if it is too thick.
I used cashews, I haven't tried it with the other seeds or nuts :-)
I made this the other night to eat on my zucchini pasta and it rocks! I used an orange bell pepper instead of red and added a little cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes to spice it up a bit. Tonight I ate it in nori and added some cucumber~ amazing!

Penni said:
RICH CHEDDAR SAUCE from Rejuvenate Your Life Recipes for Energy by Serene Allison

1 large red bell pepper
1/4 cup purified water
3 TBS.Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp.onion powder
1 clove garlic
2 TBS. lemon juice

Coconut ice cubes!!

My secret I am sharing with you!

Okay, so living in KY young thai coconuts are a rare treat...or they were until I figured out this recipe. I want to share it with you because everyone needs more coconut...but they simply go bad too quickly to get them that often. Here is my simple easy peasy recipe. Maybe we can get Michelle K. to make a video of this huh???plz....Michelle!!

You will need:

3 young thai baby coconuts

open the coconuts, scrape out their meat. Place the flesh and coconut water into a high speed blender until smooth. Then pour into ice cube trays, and freeze. Once they are frozen, place them in ziploc freezer bags and store in your freezer until you want to make something like raw ice cream, or smoothie....DELISH.

Now you can enjoy coconuts year round!!ENJOY!
In place of red peppers in cheese you can use goji berries, though, im not sure how many. Ive it and its wonderful! But I didnt make it myself..

Dancing Raven said:
Aloha Penni, greetings from Maui. I was wondering what I could substitute for the bell pepper as it is in the "nightshade" family which is very unhealthy for me. I cannot eat anything in that group (Acid Reflux) but of course love cheese so any substitution suggestion would be helpful. Mahalo (thankyou) and blessings for a grand day.

Always,
Raven

Penni said:
From RFR member Eden Grace 1 large red bell pepper
1/4 cup purified water
3 TBS.Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp.onion powder
1 clove garlic
2 TBS. lemon juice

This is really good- I even substituted 1/2 green pepper and it is delicious as a salad dressing- to replace my favorite "ranch dressing" that I am trying to get away from!

Penni said:

1 large red bell pepper
1/4 cup purified water
3 TBS.Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp.onion powder
1 clove garlic
2 TBS. lemon juice

Raw Cashew Cheese from www.vegweb.com

1 1/2 cups raw cashews

1/4 to 1 cup water

1 to 2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tsp sea salt

2 dashes black pepper

1) Place the cashews in a medium sized bowl. Fill water 2" above cashews. Soak for two hours then drain.

2) Place in a blender or food processor with some, not all, of the water and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth then scrape into a bowl and cover. Set in a cool place for 24 hours. The cheese will set and become firmer by the next day.  Then it lasts about a week in the fridge.

Makes: 4 to 8 servings, Preparation time: 1 day

I just made this cheese today, and the food processor I used was not the greatest so the cheese isn't as smooth as it should be--in my opinion. It's sitting in a cool place right now waiting on the 24 hrs to pass, but I taste-tested it. Tastes pretty good, and it was very easy to make...just the thing for a beginner, which I am!

OMG...i am so loving this idea...i was thinking of buying a case of young thai coconuts and really was thinking that it would be great to be able to have them year round....i'll definitely be doing this with some of them!

HippyDaisyChick said:
Coconut ice cubes!!

My secret I am sharing with you!

Okay, so living in KY young thai coconuts are a rare treat...or they were until I figured out this recipe. I want to share it with you because everyone needs more coconut...but they simply go bad too quickly to get them that often. Here is my simple easy peasy recipe. Maybe we can get Michelle K. to make a video of this huh???plz....Michelle!!

You will need:

3 young thai baby coconuts

open the coconuts, scrape out their meat. Place the flesh and coconut water into a high speed blender until smooth. Then pour into ice cube trays, and freeze. Once they are frozen, place them in ziploc freezer bags and store in your freezer until you want to make something like raw ice cream, or smoothie....DELISH.

Now you can enjoy coconuts year round!!ENJOY!

I posted this in the Breakfast discussion but maybe this is a better place for it :)

Raw Coconut Yogurt

4 cups young coconut meat

1 cup water or coconut water

Blend in high speed blender until smooth and creamy

Pour into glass bowl

Add 1/4 tsp probiotic powder

Mix well

Cover with lid

Put the bowl in the dehydrator at 100 for 3-6 hours

It is ready when the consistency is fluffy

You can store  in the refrigerator for up to 10 days

I like to add some honey, a cut up banana or mango (or both :), some hemp seeds and mix it all together.  Yummy!

This tastes so close to yogurt.....filling....healthy and yummers

Dianne's Rejuvelac Cheeze recipe

First soak 1/1/2 C raw Cashews overnight  then rinsed with clean water.

Basic Cheeze Recipe: Below

1 C Soaked overnight Raw Cashews 8-12 hrs, after soaking rinse and add to Vitamix with  3/4-1 C Rejuvelac and 2 REALLY good quality Probiotic pills( empty the capsules). I use New Chapter Organics Probiotic All-Flora. 

Blend in Vita Mix until smooth. (above mixture).Put a cereal bowl size bowl to Catch excess liquid .Line a fine meshed colander with Cheesecloth and ADD the Vita Mix Basic Cheese mixture and cover with more cheesecloth and a bowl or plate to weigh down. Set aside for 2 days. I live in a COOLER climate area in the WINTER so I put mine into the oven to be Dark. BUT I put my oven on about 2 times a day to warm my curing cheese for less then 5 minutes to warm the cheese in the oven then TURN oven off and close the door and leave closed.Pour off the bottom liquid in the bowl at least 1 time a day……. After 2 days take the BASIC CHEEZE from oven or other un sunny place and add spices into a Vitamix:(Basic 2 day made cheese and spices)

1 Tabls. fresh Basil small pieces

1Teas. Garlic salt

1 Teas. Onion Powder

1 Teas. Red pepper flakes(or more)

1 Teas. Herbamare spice

1/2 teas Himalayian sea salt

1/4 teas Lemon juice

1/1/2 Tabls. Nutritional Yeast

Make extra Basil and garlic powder to the bottom of a plastic lined dish 2 days from now when you add your now cured basic Cashew mixture.

So now you have Cashew Basic Recipe,All spices,lemon juice and whirl in vitamix until smooth., NOW add to a plastic lined bowl that has the EXTRA Fresh basil slices and garlic powder. Put in Refrig for 12 hrs to 2 days as spices change the flavor of the cheese.Add to Raw crackers or Line lettuce or collard and make a pate style dip for vegi's!!!!

Check out my photos on my page  to get the idea.Sorry photos are not in order but you will get the idea….

Next my marinated kelp noodles which turned out really soft topped with ginger almond pate, red peppers & oyster mushrooms. Yummo!!

Macadamia Goat Cheese

By Cindi VixCin

Fermenting: it sounds so intimidating. In fact, it’s an easy process: making kraut, kimchee, coconut yogurt, and fermented nut cheese is as simple as watching and waiting. You mix your ingredients (sometimes with the addition of probiotic powder), and leave them in a warm place for at least 6-12 hours (in the case of something like sauerkraut, you’ll have to leave them for at least three days). When the fermenting process is done, you’re left with a tangy food that’s loaded with healthy bacteria and is optimal for smooth digestion.

To make a fermented nut cheese—either the one I’m about to share, or any variety—you begin with one cup of raw nuts or seeds. Soak them in filtered water for at least six hours (this will do for seeds, cashews, and pine nuts) and up to twelve (better for almonds, Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, walnuts, and pecans). If you’re soaking the nuts for more than six hours, stop once to drain, rinse, and replenish the nuts with fresh water.

The next step is simple: when the nuts have finished soaking, you place them into a food processor with 2 teaspoons unpasteurized miso and a few tablespoons of water. You can also add ½ teaspoon of probiotic powder; not necessary, but great for your belly. (You can simply break apart a few probiotic capsules, if you like, to get the powder.) Process the mix till it’s crumbly but still holds its shape: I aimed for my texture to resemble ricotta cheese.

Wash a mason jar with hot water and soap, and dry it thoroughly. Place the fermented nut cheese in the jar, making sure there’s enough room for the mix to expand a bit, which it will as it ferments. Cover the jar with cheesecloth or a nutmilk bag, and secure it, with a rubber band. Place the mix in a warm place—85-95 degrees is optimal—and leave it be for six hours or more. Twelve hours is an optimal fermentation time, but if you let it go much longer than that it may turn a bit sour.

For my raw, vegan “goat’s cheese,” I used a cup of macadamias, and I soaked them about thirteen hours (overnight and then some). I blended them with my miso, processed till smooth, and placed in a glass jar covered with a nut milk bag. The temperature in my apartment is wacky these days—it’s freezing one day here in NYC, stifling the next, so my heat is on and off—so in order to assure that the cheese would ferment properly, I placed the whole jar in my dehydrator overnight and set it at 90 degrees.

It emerged looking something like this:

The top of any fermented nut or seed cheese will be either a little yellow or a little gray. That’s OK – it’s a part of the fermentation process. If you’d like, you can scrape off this thin covering. Then, give it a taste; it ought to be tangy, soft, and a little salty. Yum!

The next part is fun: you season the nut cheese however you’d like. It’s easiest to do this by pulsing the mix in your food processor again, but it’s fine to do by hand, too. I recommend that you add some sea salt and lemon to any fermented cheese; even with the miso, it’ll most likely need it. In addition to giving it flavor, the salt and lemon combination will make it taste far more like actual cheese. I added ¼ tsp sea salt and a good dose of lemon to my mac cheese, but take note: you could add dill, oregano, sundried tomatoes, black pepper, or any combination of herbs and spices you’d like to make the cheese taste better and more authentic.

By the time I was done, I had a cup of tangy, salty “cheese” that was, honest to god, a dead ringer for goat’s cheese as I remember it. I was flabbergasted. And it looked pretty similar, too!

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

Blog Posts

I'm back, and desperate for healing...

Posted by Silmiriel on February 16, 2017 at 12:53pm 5 Comments

So, back after 3 years :)

Posted by Winterdrop on January 22, 2017 at 9:23am 1 Comment

Water fast

Posted by nancy Mahardy on May 24, 2016 at 10:06pm 0 Comments

Back on a juice feast day 5

Posted by Roman G. on May 11, 2016 at 3:35pm 1 Comment