Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

This section is solely devoted to the recipes for and instruction of raw fermented beverages like kombucha, rejuvelac and raw vegan kefir.

Kombucha: Kombucha contains many different cultures along with several organic acids, active enzymes, amino acids, and polyphenols. Kombucha fans report many advantages such as increased energy, sharper eyesight, better skin condition, appetite control and and better overall digestion, just to name a few.
Rejuvelac: is a fermented liquid used to improve digestion. Rejuvelac is prepared using whole grains such as whole wheat, rye or quinoa. Rejuvelac can also be used as a ‘starter’ for other fermented foods such as raw nut and seed sauces, cheeses, and Essene Breads. Rejuvelac contains eight of the B vitamins, vitamins E and K, and a variety of proteins, dextrines, carbohydrates, phosphates, saccharides and amylases. It is rich in enzymes that assist both digestion and the growth of friendly bacteria such as lactobacillus bifidus. Lactobacillus produces a lactic acid that helps your colon maintain its natural vitamin-producing facility.
Raw Vegan Kefir: Vegan Kefir is most usually made from the water of young coconuts. This liquid is then fermented by either using a kefir packet, or a water kefir grain. This converts the sugars in the juice into probiotics. This creates a bubbly, hydrating, tasty drink which is also widely believed to enhance digestion and settle the stomach.

Views: 1910

Replies to This Discussion

I'm on my second batch of Kombucha and we've been making homemade dairy Kefir. However, I don't like dairy at all so I wonder if it's possible to use those kefir grains in almond milk? Anyone have any ideas on that? I don't get young coconuts very often (expensive and I have a fear of opening them!)
Young coconuts have had a bad rap! Since watching a video on finding the soft spot of a young coconut with the heel of a knife blade--it has become a cinch to open them up for their water. I wish I had that link because it takes the fear out of enjoying them. My biggest gripe is there is no way to tell if the coconut is good or bad until they are opened. I hate taking things back to a store!!
As far as using almond milk with kefir -- I say go ahead and try it! I'm all about experimenting. I still keep a batch of Kombucha going, but I have really enjoyed the water kefir that I make with apricots(non sulferred) and lemon!! I put some in a wine glass and sip it down on an empty stomach.
I bet it would work in any nut milk!

Kimbers said:
I'm on my second batch of Kombucha and we've been making homemade dairy Kefir. However, I don't like dairy at all so I wonder if it's possible to use those kefir grains in almond milk? Anyone have any ideas on that? I don't get young coconuts very often (expensive and I have a fear of opening them!)
Anglique,

I will definitely try adding agave and blueberries. I like the ginger but the fizz is just not there for me. I do a continuous brew with the Kombucha and as I pour a cup out once a day it has some fizz to it, but once in the fridge it gets flatter than a opened 1 day old soda!!! I have been just adding the fruit, maybe I should add some sweetener, i.e. white sugar or agave.

Angelique Miller said: I did that -- bottled my non-fizzy kombucha up and added some sweet stuff and then sure enough, they did get more bubbly. Not like standard soda but definitely pleasant.

I blended up blueberries and add about an 1/8 of the bottle and then filled the rest up with kombucha.
The others I threw some ginger slices at the bottom of the bottle and squirted in some agave and then filled the rest with kombucha. After a few days in the fridge, both totally delicious.
Can you tell me about the continuous brew process? Thanks!

Chris said:
Anglique,

I will definitely try adding agave and blueberries. I like the ginger but the fizz is just not there for me. I do a continuous brew with the Kombucha and as I pour a cup out once a day it has some fizz to it, but once in the fridge it gets flatter than a opened 1 day old soda!!! I have been just adding the fruit, maybe I should add some sweetener, i.e. white sugar or agave.

Angelique Miller said: I did that -- bottled my non-fizzy kombucha up and added some sweet stuff and then sure enough, they did get more bubbly. Not like standard soda but definitely pleasant.

I blended up blueberries and add about an 1/8 of the bottle and then filled the rest up with kombucha.
The others I threw some ginger slices at the bottom of the bottle and squirted in some agave and then filled the rest with kombucha. After a few days in the fridge, both totally delicious.
Chris,

Yeah, to get the fizz, having the sugar is important for the kombucha to munch on. If the fruit's sweet enough and it sits in the fridge long enough, it would surely fizz up eventually but agave/sugar would be faster (also leaving out of the fridge for a couple of days after bottled would be faster too since the kombucha would be more active when warm).
I added some grape juice (2oz per bottle) after it brewed the first time then I let it sit out at room temp for 7 days and I've got a decent amount of fizz. Not as much as my Divine Grape Synergy but definitly yummy!
Ohh I made a great smoothie with my water kefir- it is soooooooo creamy!

2 cups of water kefir
2 cups of frozen peaches
1 packet of stevia
1 big handful of spinach

Blend it- I only have a really cheap Osterizer blender and it is deliciouso!
I just made a green smoothie and have some coconut water kefir in my fridge waiting to be used and didn't even think about it! Doh! Great idea....will use it with my next one..
You can find a simple how-to video for Making + Harvesting Water Kefir in the Culinary Center. Once you see how simple it is, you'll want to get started right away!

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2018   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service