Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

I have heard many accomplished raw food chefs teach that one of the best ways to introduce people to raw foods is by exposing them to the desserts first. I would have to agree because raw desserts can be the most amazing guiltless pleasures in this life!

Please post your favorite raw desserts here, along with the source from which they came. Photos would be much appreciated....this is one of our best opportunities to post eye candy!!

Views: 20152

Replies to This Discussion

Photo Courtesy of Bitt

Key Lime Pie
One of my all time favorite desserts, hands down. Thank you, Pam, for allowing me to share this here and in the Raw Food Cleanse.

For the Crust:
1 cup organic dates, pitted
1/2 cup pecans, almonds or walnuts
1 cup organic raisins
2 cups dried organic coconut flakes
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract

In a food processor, using the "S" blade, grind pecans to a fine meal; add pitted dates and raisins, Process until a dough-like consistency forms, By hand, add in 1/2 of the coconut. Sprinkle 3/4 cup coconut into a pie pan. Place date/raisin/pecan mixture on top of the coconut and top with remaining coconut. Cover and place into the refrigerator. When a bit chilled add pie filling.

For the Filling:
3 avocados
1/2 cup Agave Nectar
1/2 cup Lime juice
Lime zest
Pinch Sea Salt
Raw Honey - if you want additional sweetness
1 tsp. coconut oil - optional

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until creamy.
RAW SMORES
by Matthew Kenney

Serves 4–6

Graham Cookie

5 cups cashew flour
2 1/2 cups oat flour
3/4 cup water
1 3/4 cups maple syrup
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Cookie Instructions

Mix ingredients in medium size bowl by hand. Spread flat on dehydrator screens, about 1/8″ thick. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 4 hours. Make an incision with the back of a knife for six rectangles. Dehydrate another 6 hours and separate the pieces. Keep well sealed, at room temperature until ready to serve.

Marshmallow Crème

2 cups cashews, soaked
1 cup coconut meat
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup agave
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 small bottle Lorann Marshmallow Concentrated Oil

Instructions for Creme

Blend until smooth in Vita-Mix. Pour into plastic lined half sheet pan; refrigerate overnight or freeze if prepared 1–2 hours prior to serving.

Dark Chocolate Butter
4 cups maple syrup
2 1/2 cups cocoa powder
2 cups coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Butter Instructions
Whisk all ingredients in large bowl. Blend in batches in Vita-mix. Pour into half sheet pan and store in freezer.

ASSEMBLY

2 tbs. cinnamon
Bring Crème to room temperature at least 20 minutes prior to serving. Warm chocolate and grahams slightly in dehydrator.

Lie one graham on a plate. Carefully spread a generous amount of marshmallow crème on top and pour an even more generous amount of chocolate over that, allowing it to slightly run off onto the plate. Set another graham on top, but off center, exposing the crème and chocolate. Sprinkle the plate with cinnamon powder.

Zesty Apple Adventure Pie
I got this recipe from "Rawkstar Brittany" of and saw her demonstrate how to make it.

I made half of this recipe since I wasn't sure how long it would last. I made it last night for dessert and had a piece this morning for breakfast!

Ingredients:

Crust:

2 cups pitted dates
2 cups pecans (I used walnuts that I soaked for an hour)

Filling:

4 apples
3 T Honey
Cinnamon
Dash of Lemon Zest

Directions:

1. In food processor, pulse chop dates and pecans until sticky.
2. Put into pie pan and form crust.

Filling:

1. Grate Apples (I used the grater blade of the cuisinart and it went really fast!)
2. Mix honey, lemon zest and cinnamon in with the grated apples.
3. Pour mixture into crust.
Chocolate Raspberry Cake

Basic walnut chocolate cake recipe:
3 cups walnuts, 1/4 tsp sea salt, grind up in FP until crummy.
Add 20 dates, 2/3 cup cocoa or cacao powder, 1 tsp vanilla.
Run until it forms a ball or sticks together.
Pile half on plate, layer raspberries in middle, pile rest on top.

Add raspberry sauce:
Mix 1/2 cup raspberries, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 agave to taste or consistency you like.

Super easy and did I say tasty?

Want it even easier? Most times I make the chocolate cake recipe, I just roll it up into bite-sized balls to keep in the freezer for when I feel like a treat!

Can also roll the balls in or dress the cake with shredded coconut. Mmmm..Yummy as well.
Enjoy!
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

by Rachel Fracassa

Ingredients

Crust

1 1/2 Cups Pecans
1/3 Cup Raisins
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Salt

Filling
1/2 Cup Soft Dates, pitted and packed
1/2 Cup Agave
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
2 Cups Cashews, soaked 2 hours, drained
1/2 Cup Young Coconut Meat
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, warmed to liquid
1/2 Cup Irish Moss Paste*

Pumpkin Topping
3/4 Cup Pumpkin, chopped
1/4 Cup Carrots, peeled and chopped
6 Tablespoons Water
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Dates, soaked
1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice

Directions

To make the crust: In a food processor, process pecans, raisins, cinnamon, and salt until the mixture begins to stick together. Press the crust mixture evenly in the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan.
To make the filling: Process the dates, agave, and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Add the pumpkin, cashews and coconut meat and process until completely smooth. Add the coconut oil and irish moss and process until well incorporated. Pour the filling onto the crust.
To make the topping: Place the pumpkin and carrot along with the water and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the dates and pumpkin pie spice and blend again until smooth. Spread the pumpkin topping evenly on top of the filling.
Chill at least 3 hours before serving
Servings: 8

Notes

If you don't have Irish Moss, don't fret. You can make the cheesecake without it, but serve it straight from the refrigerator.
If you have an aversion to eating raw pumpkin, peeled carrots can be substituted for pumpkin at any time.
To make a pumpkin drizzle instead of topping, replace the dates with 2 tablespoons of Agave.
Chocolate Ice cream
My husband like this recipe so much he won't eat store bought anymore.

1 cup cashews
1 cup water
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 big heaping Tablespoons of Raw Cocoa Powder
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar
Blend in vitamix
Add about 3+ cups of ice cubes... Will need your plunger for this!!
Blend till thick like Ice cream add more Ice if needed

Place in Bowls and Eat. This melts fast...but really yummy
Any leftovers I pour into ice cube trays. When you want ice cream again put frozen ice cream in blender add alittle water.. not to much you can alway add more.. and use your plunger and mix till creamy.. This recipe would be good with an ice cream maker. I also use this same recpie for shakes, just add less ice.

I AM DEVOTED - Living Coconut Cream Pie
courtesy of I Am Grateful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude

makes on 9-inch pie

For The Crust
2 1/2 cups dry coconut flakes
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp sea salt
Heaping 1/4 cup well packed, finely chopped dates

For the Filling:

1 1/4 cups coconut water
3/4 cup young thai coconut meat
Heaping 3/4 cup well packed, finely chopped dates
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 pinches sea salt
3 TBSP lecithin
1/2 cup + 2 TBSP coconut butter

Topping:
3/4 cup dry coconut flakes

To Make the Crust:
Put the coconut flakes, salt, and vanilla in your food processor. Begin to process, adding small amounts of the date until the crust sticks together. Press into a coconut greased 9 inch pie pan.

To Make the Filling:
Blend the coconut meat, water,, date, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Add lecithin and coconut butter and blend until well incorporated. Pour into prepared crust. Set in fridge/freezer until set (about 1 hour). Top with thin layer of coconut flakes. Now you can share your devotion!

This recipe was served at Matt and Angela's Wedding.
pecan cinnamon balls

1 cup pecans (soaked 6-10 hours; then rinse & drain)
1 cup pitted dates (soak 20 minutes if they're hard & then drain)
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)

- buzz dates in food processor until they form a ball. spread them evenly around the processor bowl.
- add dates, salt & cinnamon and pulse to mix everything together (10x-ish).
- scrape sides down and then buzz around until the mixture comes together. (you'll need to scrape the sides and even things out a few times, but it'll eventually all come together.
- with WET hands, form little balls.
- depending how many you eat *grin*, you'll have 10-20 little balls.
- store them in the fridge or freezer, depending on how you like them best.

these would be yummy with a variety of spices! you could also leave out the cinnamon and add a pinch of orange, lemon, or lime zest to completely change the flavor. experiement & have fun! : )
Attachments:
almond power bars (from elanaspantry.com)

2 cups almonds (soaked 6-10 hours, then rinsed & drained)
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup dried, shredded coconut
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 teaspon sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp vanilla

- place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter & salt in a food processor. pulse briefly, about 10 seconds.
- add agave & vanilla to coconut oil and then pour over the mixture.
- pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste.
(if you don't have a BIG food processor, take out 1/2 of the almond mixture and do it in 2 batches)
- press mixture into an 8x8 glass baking dish. chill in fridge for 1 hour, or until mixture hardens. remove from fridge and cut into bars.
- if you want a chocolate topping, melt some cacao nibs and spread them gently over the bars. i did cacao on half ... that's what you'll see in the picture.
- you could easily roll these into little balls, too ... enjoy!

you could easily substitute macadamia nuts for almonds and raw macadamia nut butter for almond butter. switch it up and have some fun in the kitchen. : )
Attachments:
Taking this amazing "All-American Apple Pie" to the Real Food Tulsa Meetup tomorrow. You can find this recipe by Ani Phyo on page 211 in her Ani's Raw Food Kitchen book.

PS: These are My pictures!!!!
Attachments:
Here is Ani's recipe: for All-American Apple Pie
Please note I did not get both pictures of the crust and the pie on the same reply above.

Almond Pie Crust

2 C almonds, dry
1 tsp. sea salt
2 C pitted dates (I used Medjool)

Syrup

1/2 C pitted dates (I used Medjool)
1 orange, peeled and seeded
Splash of water, as needed ( I ended up using 1/4 C)

Filling

5 C apples (your choice) peeled, seeded, thinly sliced, about 5 or 6 apples
1 C raisins
2 Tbls. ground cinnamon

To make crust, pulse almonds and salt in food processor until nuts are in small pieces. You want your crust to have chunks of almonds in it, so don't overprocess. Use some of the finer powder to "flour" the bottom of your pie dish. (My Note: I don't have a food processor so I used the dry container to my Vita Mix)

Slowly add dates into the processor in small batches to mix with almond bits. The dates will bind the almonds to form a dough. Press dough onto the bottom of "floured" pie pan. Set aside. (My note I brought the crust up the sides and fluted it)

To make syrup, place orange into your blender first. Then add dates and blend. If needed, add small amounts of water to help everything mix well. Set aside.

To make filling, place sliced apples in a large bowl with raisins. Toss with cinnamon and syrup. Spoon filling into pie crust.

Will keep for two days in the fridge.

Rice Pudding
2 small parsnips
enough almond milk to cover the parsnips
cinnamon 1/2tsp or to taste
1 Tbs maple syrup, Honey,agave or a few dates to sweeten
1/4 to 1/3C Raisens you can presoak these I didn't but I think it would be best 20min -1 hour

Rice parsnips in the food processor by pulsing until rice size. Scrapping down the sides frequently.
I made the almond milk with cinnamon and maple syrup at one time. You can use some almond milk you have and mix in the sweetener and cinnamon. Add raisens.
Mix. This will be a little soupy but thickens if you place it in the dehydrator for an hour or so.

You could use yellow squash also.

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service