Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Hello My Loves....

Can you believe we're standing at the door of 2016? Those of you who've known me, get it that I love me some FRESH-start action!! Anybody else REALLY ready to launch off into the new year that's chocked full of promise & possibilities?!

Today I'm looking for some feedback from my peeps.

As many of you may or may not know, I was VERY involved in creating health & wellness programs/initiatives here at Raw Food Rehab, (which will officially become Real Food Rehab in 2016) since 2009.

In the process of that, I created a TON of digital content, which included over 25 eBooks. I honestly can't believe that looking back, but it happened. It was a seriously good (manic) time of creation and good eats!

So..... as I write today, I'm selfishly considering creating a new compilation eBook, just in time to help us get 2016 off to THE BEST START EVER. 

This would be a "Best Of" collection - a place for all the top recipes to be in one place. Juices, smoothies, soups, salads, entrees, desserts, (all plant-based, including cooked & raw, because that's the way I roll), along with a heapin' helpin' of Penni-inspiration & learned wisdom to help you get back on track if you've lost your way or are just looking for a shot in the arm of real food goodness slathered in sooooo much love.

I am currently creating PENNISHELTON.COM, which will become my main web presence and it will link to our Real Food Rehab community.

I've learned SO MUCH over the past decade and I've gone through a significant personal metamorphosis in the process. I'm pretty sure that process will never be complete, so I'm just enjoying the ride! My heart's desire is to focus my energy on what I believe to be my true calling and gifting: personal development, empowerment & transformation. I'm super stoked about new program creation and serving one-on-one empowerment coaching clients in 2016 (more details on that to come).

BUT before I get too far ahead of myself, I'm feeling it would be of great benefit to create ONE "go-to" book/manual showcasing some of the most elevated eats that can support us on our journey of being our best, highest selves, but that don't have us spending ridiculous amounts of time in our kitchen. I am certain we have more important things we could be doing with our time.

Before I do this, I want to hear your thoughts, ideas, interest, etc. Is this something you'd be interested in? I'd also be super interested to know what your diet is like now, what it includes, excludes, and how you'd like to shift that, if you do. Seriously - I'm all ears (and eyeballs)......

Love you very much & I'm wishing you the very best as we are rapidly approaching 2016!

xoxo - Penni

Views: 755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Penni! Been on your site for years and I'm excited to hear about your new book venture. I started out on SAD, but went raw because of one of your healthy challenges a few years back, and that helped me go vegan. I'm not 100% raw, but I love incorporating raw foods into my vegan diet.

I buy all kinds of raw and vegan books, but mostly I gravitate to books that have simple recipes with cheap ingredients that you can find at almost any grocery. I feel that most people think raw and vegan means eating lots of vegan meat and cheese alternatives and spending like a celebrity, which is completely untrue. I think the most important thing to teach people is that eating healthy doesn't have to be timely or expensive. I do think that you need to have proper kitchen appliances and probably more than you need on SAD, but I found most of mine in thrift stores (but-save money and buy a good blender).

I also like books that have meals that you can prepare in bulk and keep for the week. It saves so much time to just make something before hand and just grab a Tupperware on your way to work. I never found that I could do this properly with most raw recipes. Some of my favorite bulk meals are stews, soups, chili, pasta, loafs, and casseroles. I love anything with quinoa, chickpeas, black beans, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes. Plus, all are cheap (people don't seem to know about getting beans and grains dried in the bulk bin section, so it's a great tip to share). Also, I prepare snacks in bulk too. My favorites are raw dips with assorted veggies, raw crackers, olives, fruit, kale chips, and anything with hummus. I find that snack time is by far the easiest time to eat raw.

I also like books that explain how to make non food items too. Making your own cleaner, deodorant, and health care items sounds a bit hipster, but it saves money and I'm not inhaling a bunch of chemicals nor am I contributing to animal testing. I make my own deodorant out of coconut oil, cornstarch, and baking soda ( Make sure you don't have a baking soda allergy before you use) and it works, really well, and better than anything I buy at the store and lasts longer. Also a solution of vinegar, water, baking soda, and a drop of liquid soap is a great cleaner and can get out cat pee smell on almost anything and isn't harmful (maybe don't use it on wood though). So that's another kind of idea that you could look into adding to your book if you feel so inclined.

About food:
I'm vegan, so I don't eat any animal products. I also don't eat a ton of meat or cheese alternatives, and I try to limit nuts and oil.

In most raw books I don't like that breakfasts are overly sweet. I have a sweet tooth that rivals the best of them, but for breakfast too much sugar makes me sick. Some raw food breakfasts I enjoy that have the right touch of sweetness are buckwheat granola, banana blueberry smoothies, and beet juice with apples, cucumbers, carrots, and ginger. If I'm not eating oatmeal for breakfast, then I'm having one of those. I also love tofu scrambles. It's like Kitchen Sink Soup of breakfast because it's cheap and you can throw in almost any veggie and eat if for breakfast. Black salt takes it up a notch with eggy flavor too if you can find it.

Lunches are pretty easy for me because I usually just eat leftovers from the night before, but I also enjoy raw lunches too. Raw zucchini noodle pasta, salads (sometimes with sweet potatoes, quinoa, or beans thrown in), and raw blts with eggplant bacon are my usual go-to.

I almost never eat raw for dinner but when I do I like raw sushi with parsnip rice, veggie curry with parsnip or cauliflower rice, zucchini pastas, or mushroom steaks. My favorite meals to make and have are beet burgers, pumpkin Mac and cheese, spaghetti squash w/marinara, pizza (no cheese- animal or vegan), chickpea and broccoli burritos, veggie stirfrys, and jackfruit bbq.

I feel like I wrote you a novel, but I hope it helps. :)
I miss the 11 week initiatives. They were so helpful especially the weigh ins for accountability. The price was doable for most people snd the sense of community was fabulous. Without the initiatives , I tend to just forget to log into Raw Food Rehab.
Please bring them back. Pretty please!

Well hello! This is a blast from the past here. :>)  And I say a big fat YES to a "go to"/"best of" book! Absolutely! I too am rolling with some cooked food in addition to a high Raw Vegan diet. And I have found some awesome Vegan products to help with my food addictions. Cheese for one was a hard, hard thing to give up; guess it's the German in me, until I found these ah-may-zing Artisan cheeses, which have totally, TOTALLY changed my food choices the past few months and focused me back into the zone of being a healthier (happier) me.

Penni - I told you before, you were one of my true Angels that changed my life and health and I so need to reconnect, both mentally and physically with you and your teachings and guidance. Since my Mom passed in 2012 (wow! Soon to be 4 years!), I have again (tried) caring for and healing others around me, but while I was so focused on them, lost myself. Facebook isn't cutting it, even with the private groups I've joined. I enjoyed the community here that you created. I learned a lot. I felt good about myself. I was healthy. I need that again. This cannot come at a better time.

We all stray off the path, but knowing when to hop back on it is the key. I'm feeling this hop. And with 2016 right around the corner, I've already gotten a jump start to my wellness, but sure could use some encouragement and guidance.

So...um...yeah

I've gotten kind of lazy with my diet.  I used to eat 100% raw vegan, but now would say I'm more of a vegetarian (some organic dairy) and eat a lot more cooked foods.  I found that the time and equipment required to maintain a raw/mostly raw diet was too time consuming including the need to constantly buy fresh ingredients.  I am looking for a simple, easy vegan diet of cooked/uncooked foods which includes common ingredients and also TASTES GOOD -- something the WHOLE FAMILY will enjoy eating.  This time of year, I live mostly on my vegan pea soup, bean soup and/or chili.   

Hi Penni,I

I actually just did this with all the ebooks of yours, I had 2 huge notebooks full of recipes. It started out because I was  I looking for a specific recipe and I found it several times. I thought I should really condense these.  2 days later, I had only 1 medium notebook but only one of everything. I think your idea is great. 

Robin Lamarche

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle!!!

Hi Penni,

I don't have a lot to say other than I adore your new direction and it resonates on every level! I'm sure the book will be gorgeous and amazing.

I'm still very bought into the raw/real lifestyle, and I still juggle my food addiction/emotional stuff with it. For the past 5 or 6 months I have been focusing on my microbiome, eating coconut kefir every day and fermented/cultured foods. Everything in my life is  changing as a result! I would love to see a section of the book devoted to this area.

Many blessings in 2016 and beyond. You are definitely one of my inspirations and I look forward to your offerings.

Gracious peace,
Corinne

Well , ask and you shall receive!! I have been mulling over a way to start the New Year with health in mind,   and this seems like it answer my question.   I certainly am interested.  I have been MIA because eating raw during certain times just did not work for me and, well,  I felt as if there was not  common ground place to go that would blend vegan, raw, and cooked dietary palates.  Looking forward to your book!!  I am in

Happy New Year to You

Penni I will gladly share with you all of my own handcrafted recipes. Lemme know if you would like to use any. That would be my "secret" Cashew Cheese Kale chips along with my other raw food snacks. I have some "cooked ones too. <3 

Hi Penni,

I think that's a great idea! I love those types of books where people bring all of their 'best of' collections together :)

I am a low fat, raw vegan myself and can never get enough of simple, easy and delicious recipes which are quick to throw together. The sort of 'go-to' type recipes.

Look forward to being with you on your journey xoxo

Muah, Muah, Muah.....Love you raw, cooked, quick, simple, in a video & in a pic.....but I don't eat green eggs & ham.....will these recipes be vegan? (or vegetarian)

It was you my dear lovely Penni who helped bring it all together and made it simple for me to go raw.
No matter what you do you will always have followers, because you are gifted to break things down making it easier for others. Looking forward to mire of you and your book.

GGGG is back

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service