Real Food Rehab

No rigid rules, labels or dogmas.... just REAL food, for your body, mind & soul!

Since Cinco De Mayo is today, I wanted to bump this Foodie Friday episode up from last year:

Earlier this week many of us celebrated Cinco de Mayo which I just learned this week is actually the holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, NOT Mexico's Independence Day, as I had originally thought. While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. For me and my family, it's another great opportunity  celebrate by enjoying the brilliance of Mexican cuisine!

So we decided to have a fun little fiesta dinner at the Casa de Shelton this past Wednesday evening and I wanted to share all of the recipes we made with you here on this episode of Foodie Friday. I hope today's video and recipes will inspire you to get your Mexican Fiesta on!!

Simple Celebration Salsa

2 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes
1 chile, seeded & diced (use Serrano or jalapeño)
2 limes, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, diced
a generous pinch of sea salt
freshly cracked pepper to taste

You can either chop all ingredients by hand, or use a food processor if you prefer your salsa less chunky. If you like a sweeter salsa, add 1/4 cup chopped mango for a wonderful addition.

The Best Guacamole
from my book, Raw Food Cleanse

While vacationing in San Fransisco back in 1998, I had the pleasure of dining at the hottest new Mexican restaurant in town. It was the freshest, most delicious guacamole I ever had and I was able to talk the waitress into having the chef write down the ingredients for this little Oklahoma girl. I still have the napkin this recipe is scribbled on.

2 large ripe avocados
fresh cilantro
Serrano chiles
diced tomatoes
fresh lime juice, be generous
red onions, diced
fresh garlic, minced
sea salt

Amounts....you'll just have to guess like I do! Mash the avocados i a bowl first and then add the other ingredients to taste.

Super Sour Cream

1 cup soft nuts or seeds, soaked & drained (I use macadamia, cashew or sunflower seeds)
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 capsule of probiotic powder, just the powder
1 cup water

Put all ingredients except the water into a blender and slowly add water to reach the desired consistency. If you have sour cream left over you can dehydrate it to a firm texture and use like feta or Parmesan cheese. This will keep well in an airtight container in your refrigerator for weeks.

Corn & Tomato Salad
also from Raw Food Cleanse

3 ears fresh corn, kernels cut from the cob
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
drizzle of cold pressed olive oil (optional)
sea salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill before serving. You can also add a pinch of cayenne powder if you like to amp up the heat!

Marinated Fiesta Fajitas

For the Marinade:
1/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
1/3 cup Nama Shoyu or Tamari
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 limes, juiced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until well incorporated.

For the Vegetables:

1 large sweet yellow onion, sliced in fine rings
1 large bell pepper, sliced thinly (use any color you prefer)
1 pint baby bella mushrooms, sliced
(the addition of any other seasonal veggie is encouraged)

Put all the veggies into a bowl and pour the marinade over, stirring well to coat each piece well. Cover and let this sit on your counter top for at least an hour to allow the flavors to richen and for the veggies to soften and wilt.

For the Fajita Wrap:
Large leaves of bibb lettuce
Dehydrated Corn Tortillas or
Sprouted Corn or Multi-grain tortillas (not raw, but a healthy alternative)

To build your fajita, layer the marinated veggies, corn salad, salsa, a dollop of guacamole & sour cream inside your wrap.....ENJOY!

Frozen but Still Alive Margaritas
adapted from BlueLotusLiving.com

3 Green Apples, juiced
2 Limes, juiced
1 orange, juiced
1 cup rejuvelac or plain kombucha
Agave nectar, honey or other sweetener of choice
Ice cubes/crushed ice
Sliced limes

Juice apples, limes & the orange. Transfer juices, rejuvelac (if you are using kombucha, stir in last by hand) and agave nectar to a high speed blender. Add ice cubes. Process until mixture is well blended and ice is slightly crushed. Garnish glass with sliced limes.

Click Here for entire Food Friday Collection!

Views: 1057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What lovely bunch of great Mexican recipes. I also love Latin American food. I make my Guacamole a little different, but now I can try this recipe. Yummy! Looks like fun to do stuff!

Have a great weekend!
Wow, the food looks amazing. I can't wait to try some of these.

Foodie Fridays always makes me hungry!!!
Yes....in that photo there is celtic sea salt, but I don't want to encourage that if folks can go without : )

Jane Van Benthusen said:
Penni, Is there salt on the rim of that margarita? Just curious. Keep up the good work! Jane :)
You tell James that Miss Penni is sending him a big cyber hug and kiss......he made my day!! MUAH!

Linda said:
GREAT! I love your Foodie Fridays

Penni, my 10 year old son, James said, "Oh! She is lush, she is lovely she is" yep, YOU! He was talking about and when you said, "love you" at the end of your video my James said, "love you too" whilst pointing at the computer screen.....awwww bless him. He did say, "but I love you more mammy"...I'm happy!....teehee
I just told James that I told you what he said before and he said, "thankyou Mammy" which isn't like him, he is usually very shy but he read your reply and said, "MUAH back to you" then he started getting all shy and said he has a nice feeling, and now he has just said, "shame she is married, is she mammy?"......awwww I think he is in love! I just asked him if he is in love and after a tiny pause and a lovely smile he said, "yeah"......CUTE!!
He said, "I am glad I made her day!!"
Penni said:
You tell James that Miss Penni is sending him a big cyber hug and kiss......he made my day!! MUAH!

Linda said:
GREAT! I love your Foodie Fridays

Penni, my 10 year old son, James said, "Oh! She is lush, she is lovely she is" yep, YOU! He was talking about and when you said, "love you" at the end of your video my James said, "love you too" whilst pointing at the computer screen.....awwww bless him. He did say, "but I love you more mammy"...I'm happy!....teehee
OMG this all looks sooooooooo delicious!!!
WOW! These recipes look so fantastic. I can't wait to try them! Thank you!
yum, I have to try those fajitas!!!
Well? I looked and looked (on google) and could not find what that fuzzy/spikey green fruit (veggie?) is. So, I've come to the conclusion - they are hedgehogs! Green hedgehogs! LOL!

Everything looks soooo good! Thanks for sharing. We are having taco salads tomorrow. I am making salsa, guacamole, raw ranch dressing, raw taco meat, and a raw dessert- not sure what yet. The girls will make some beans for those who don't want to have an all raw meal.
Guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow? It will be Cinco de Mayo Saturday at my house. Can't wait for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks Penni :)
Very cute!

Veganforlife said:
Well? I looked and looked (on google) and could not find what that fuzzy/spikey green fruit (veggie?) is. So, I've come to the conclusion - they are hedgehogs! Green hedgehogs! LOL!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Fresh Eats Inspiration

Grab Your Copy

© 2017   Created by Penni.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service